I'm a 26 year old woman of Mediterranean descent. I have struggled with excessive body and facial hair since I was 8. I was put on birth control pills at 12 and quit taking them after they were ineffective and was told I have PCOS. My only concern at this point is my body hair. Every time I shave, the hair grows back immediately, painfully, and I get bumps and ingrown hairs. I then pick at the ingrown hairs and create scars. My life is suffering majorly because of this. Please help!
Will Laser Hair Removal Work on my Olive Skin and Thick Hair? (photo)
Doctor Answers (3)
Laser hair removal for olive skin
The long-pulsed Nd:YAG (1,064 nm) laser is considered safe and effective for the treatment of unwanted hair in darker skinned persons. It is considered to be superior to other methods of hair removal. The Nd:YAG laser has been shown to yield a high rate of satisfaction in terms of hair reduction.
The Light Sheer Duet is an ideal laser for hair removal
The Light Sheer Duet Diode laser can treat very large areas quickly, no gel or mess, and with very little discomfort even in olive skin tones. It's important to shave the area prior to treatment and to not have a suntan in the area being treated. It usually takes 5-7 treatments for optimal results and occasional maintenance visits for any stubborn areas.
Laser hair Removal in Olive Skin on Buttocks and Bikini
Ingrown hairs respond very well to laser hair removal. It is not unusual for women (and men) to have unwanted hair on the buttocks area. In fact, it is one of the most requested areas.
Please be certain you find a laser center that
1) Is owned and operated by a physician with the physician on-site
2) Has PA's and nurse practitioners available to provide medical clearance
3) Is equipped with multiple lasers. No single laser is ideal for every skin type
4) Performs many, many treatments
5) Provides complimentary, no pressure consultations
6) Offers individual laser sessions and not a series of services. People respond differently to laser treatments. Not everyone needs the same number of treatments. Why give your money in advance?
Web reference: http://www.bluewaterspa.com/laser-hair-removal.html
You might also like...
You might also like...
Ask a Doctor
Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.