How to treat loose lower neck skin?

What are some options for loose, wrinkly skin on my lower neck? My face is fine and I have little to no sagging in the jowl area. Along and under my jaw/chin line at the upper neck appears to be fine. But the lower half of my neck, especially toward the middle, is very loose and looks 10 years older than my face, certainly a result of incomplete sunscreen application over the years. What effective surgical and non-surgical options are available for this?

Neck tightening options

+2

The lower the area of your concern is on your neck, the more difficult it is to obtain great long lasting results surgically. I often see improvement that is equivalent to 4 out of 10 (10 being a surgical result) with nonsurgical treatments such as Exilis (radio-frequency) or Ulthera (ultrasound energy). Lasers such as Fraxel can have a nice effect on texture and crinkling of the skin as well. I am particularly excited about Microneedling such as with the Dermapen with Platelet Rich Plasma.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Treatment Options for Loose Lower Neck Skin

+2

There are both surgical and nonsurgical options for treating aged loose lower neck skin. First you must realize that a surgical neck lift, which firms and smoothes the neck from behind your ears really only involves work on the upper and mid neck regions. However, since the skin is all connected, the lower neck skin will be tightened and its appearance improved when the skin above it is lifted. Any incisional surgery directly on the lower neck would leave an unacceptable visible scar and is not done. If some of the aging changes involve mottled pigmentation and fine or rough "texture" lines, than a fraxel laser or chemical peeling might help improve the skin quality. Also, some of the newer ultrasound or radio frequency machines may offer a modest firming and smoothing. It would be best to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon who is experienced in treating the aging neck, and to have a thorough discussion about your condition and your desired results, so the surgeon can recommend options that have a reasonable chance of helping you achieve your goals.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Tightening the lower neck

+2

can be challenging but there are many things you can try... including Thermage, Ultera, a corset playstmaplasy, Fractional laser, etc. Before spending a lot on this, I would suggest you know what to expect from your procedures and what happens if you don't get the result that was expected.

Curtis Wong, MD

How to treat loose lower neck skin?

+1

An exam would be necessary to make specific recommendations as to whether surgery or something less invasive would be appropriate.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts facelift revisions, and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Neck lift or lower face and neck lift best option for loose wrinkly skin on the neck

+1

Thank you for your question. The photograph would help.

Generally speaking a neck lift or lower face and neck lift is the best option to treat loose wrinkly skin under the neck. Nonsurgical options and laser have been disappointing.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Treatments for Wrinkly Neck Skin

+1

You could consider surgical and non-surgical treatments.

Surgically, a necklift with skin redraping and removal will provide you with the best and most long-lasting results.

As a non-surgical alternative, Ultherapy with or without fractionated laser treatments will give you some benefit but certainly not as much as with surgery.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon