Am I Still at Risk for Complications? Had Breast Augmentation and Donut Lift on November 12th, 2012

5'1 155lbs 22 years young:) Got 550cc natrelle silicone gel implants

Breast Implant Complications

+2

Hi,

There can be short term risks and long term risks of complications/problems after breast implants:

• Short term - Two weeks after surgery, hematoma (bleeding around the implant) and infection are unlikely. Incision separation (dehiscence) unlikely after 6 weeks.
  • Long term - Full return of breast feeling and final scar quality assessment may take 12 months. Chances of implant failure and capsular contracture exist while implants are in place.

Thanks for your question and good luck!

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Avoiding complications following breast lift / augmentation

+2

Being only 2 weeks post surgery does not mean that you are out of the woods when it comes to complications.  Early complications such as infection or bleeding can occur early and if you are healing well you are most likely past this stage.  Now is the time to concentrate on scar management.  I like to keep the incisions taped with paper tape for the first 3 - 4 weeks.  This keeps some of the early tension off of the scar and has been shown to improve healing.  From the end of the third week to the end of the third month then it best to perform daily massage of the scars and massage of the implants.  Late complications can include hypertrophic scarring, keloid scarring, stretching of the areola from the doughnut mastopexy and capsular contracture.  Good routine follow up and understanding the healing process are vital to a successful outcome.  

Risk of Complications After Breast Augmenation Decreases with Time

+2
Within the first two weeks after surgery, the most common complications after mastopexy augmentation are seroma, infection and wound separation.  After about three weeks, your risk of developing those complicaitons decreases.  After about 4 week, hypertrophic or keloid scarring becomes a medium term risk.  Bleeding within the pocket has been reported up to 6 weeks after surgery if vigourous activity or trauma is experience.  There are also some case reports of late infections.  In the long term, capsular contracture, wrinkling, palpability and malposition are the most common complications.  Having said that, I would recommend close follow-up with your surgeon and using common sense in terms of your activities.  Each week your risk of a complication will go down and your enjoyment of your new body image should improve.  Best wishes with your recovery.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Postop Activity

+2

I tell patients they can go back to vigorous activitiy after 4 weeks to allow for good healing.  Prior to that, incisions are at higher risk for dehiscence(opening).  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Donut Lift at 2 Weeks and Risks

+1

Short term risks such as hematoma are much lower at two weeks as fibrin clots on the end of blood vessels have matured at this point.

Risk in time.

+1

The farther along you are from the time of surgery the less risks you have with regards to the early complications. If you are worried about the activities you were doing before the surgery and you want to know when you can return to these - your PS is the best resource. Congratulation on your breast augmentation, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Out of time frame for complication?

+1

At two weeks after surgery you are on your way to being out of the window of early post-op complications.  

Breast Augmentation/Lifting Complications?

+1

Congratulations on undergoing the breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Unfortunately,  although you are probably past the stage where you are at risk for certain complications such as infection or bleeding, you are (and always will be) at risk for other complications such as breast implant encapsulation. For this reason, I like to follow my  patients postoperatively forever.

Having said that, I encourage you to enjoy the results of surgery on a daily basis.