Old Silicone Implants?

I'm 61 yrs. old. I've had implants for about 26 years. I have discomfort and pain in both breasts. My last Mammogram showed "changes in the R breast". I am seriously considering having the implants removed and not replacing. I'm very thin, 100 lbs and very concerned about what my breasts would look like. After so many years and my age, I'm sure my skin has little elasticity to bounce back. Is it best to heal and then decide how to proceed, if at all?

Old Silicone Breast Implants

+1

Thank you for your question. You should discuss these alternatives with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon , and if your cosmetically concerned, then you may want to leave implants as an alternative on the table for now. They do not typically look good after explant. They will have some significant sagging which may be corrected with a lift, but no breast tissue. If some tissue needs to be removed with a capsulectomy, there is even less breast tissue. You need to at lest have the old ones removed, they you and the Board Certified Plastic Surgeon discuss the options and your best choices. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about Breast Appearance after Removal of Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question. Exactly what your breast will look like after removal of the breast implants is difficult to know, even after direct physical examination. Also, whether or not you will be happy without replacement of breast implants will become a very personal decision that only you can make after careful consideration.  Given your symptoms, if you think that there is a good chance you will be happy ( enough) with breast size  without breast re-augmentation,  then it may be in your best interests to undergo breast implant removal surgery only.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

‚Ä®Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Old Silicone Breast Implants Removal Only

+1

Well, I would guess that both your implants could be ruptured.  Although not a heath risk, you still probably need both implants removed.  It does not sound like you have unusually large breasts, so I would do nothing with the skin now.  Let everything heal, including skin contraction, and then decide if you need, or even want, any additional surgery.  Your doctor can give you the best advice after an examination.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Old Silicone Implants?

+1

Given the fact that you have symptoms, I agree that the best plan would be simple removal, and then after several months, see what the breasts look like and make a decision then about whether to have new implants or a lift or nothing at all