Does it look like I need to have my implants removed because of possible mastitis? (photo)

I've had the chills, breast redness, and my breast feels extremely hot, my body has also been aching. The doctor is saying he believes it's a stitch my bodies rejecting and prescribed me Ciprofloxacin. Does it look like my implants need to be removed? I googled "mastitis" and it seemed that was my issue, I'm pretty scared.

Definitely those are signs of inflammation and could be infection...

+2

You are completely right about being concern; it's not a normal aspect at all. 

This website is not for panicking patients, but when we see photos that would concern us on a personal visit, it's important to try an guide that patient instead of just tranquilizing her and not doing anything about it. 

Without a physical exam it's hard to determine if it's a Mastitis per se, but the fever you described, local region temperature (left should be hotter than right), skin redness and pain are sure signs of severe inflammation which could easily come from an infection. 

Stiches reactions are localized and they do not cause all of the symptoms mentioned above. I believe you should mark a  an emergency appointment ASAP with him, and in my experience, if it is Mastitis,  have intravenous treatment instead of oral (meaning you'd need to be hospitalized). Even with all of this measures, couldn't guarantee the implant will not have to be removed. 

Hope this resolves positively for you. 

Take good care of yourself, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Possible mastitis

+1
It's not possible to give a good answer without actually examining you. You should certainly be in close contact with your surgeon until this process improves. Other information which may be important with this situation is the appearance of the other breast, fevers, results of blood work such as a CBC, and possibly a sonogram to look for fluid in the breast pocket. The appearance of your breast after a mastopexy with implants most commonly is due to a local allergic reaction from the steri strips and the adhesive or from an infection. 

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Possible mastitis?

+1
You should be concerned about the appearance but more importantly about the potential for a severe infection. Body aches and fevers are a sign that the infection may not be localized to your breasts. I would speak with you plastic surgeon immediately. You may require removal of implants and IV antibiotics. Please seek immediate medical attention.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Please see your surgeon

+1
as quickly as you can to determine if this is an infection, start treatment and hopefully salvage the implants.   Other options are contact dermatitis , if you are using some sort of cream or gel on the skin that you are reacting to. In any case, your doctor should investigate and treat. 

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Swollen breast treatment

+1
Your breast appears to be very swollen, tight and very warm as you have described.  Until proven otherwise this represents an abscess or mastitis in the breast.  Antibiotics should be used for sure, but an ultrasound of the breast can be obtained to see if there is a collection of fluid around the implant now, and if this doesn't get better in days at the most, it may warrant removing the breast implant now.  If there is any sign of infective fluid in the breast pocket,  there are many Plastic Surgeons who would suggest taking both  implants out for at least 6 months. Be sure to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon daily to be sure this is not getting worse.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD