Would Mastopexy Be Likely?

I'm 5'6" & weigh about 106. I've had silicon implants for 26 years. The implants have changed, feel hard, cause discomfort. probably too large (34 full C) for my frame. I was a small B when I had augmentation and about the same weight. I'm now 61 and want explantation. My last Mammogram did show changes in the R breast. I plan to have a current Mammogram or MRI done soon to see if there is a rupture. No more implants. Probably not great skin quality (61). Would capselectomy & lift be probable?

Mastopexy After Explantation?

+1

Thank you for your question. If they are 26 years old, and hard, at the very least a capsulectomy, and possible extraction of silicone leakage if this has occurred. If it has, hopefully it has remained contained in the pocket. A lift will be likely needed as the volume loss is not corrected with an elastic response. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Yes

+1

Most likely you will need a capsulectomy and removal of current implants and a breast lift.  Depending on your breast tissue and health, these can be usually performed in one operation.  

Best Regards,

Lane Smith, M.D.

Lane Smith, MD

Options for 26 year old implants.

+1

From your description, it is likely that you have gel outside the shells of the implants and resultant capsular contractures. When removing implants, the breasts certainly deflate, but the degree of ptosis (droopiness) is variable. Whether your breasts "rebound" with contraction is difficult to determine, even with a physical exam. If you do not wish to have an exchange of your implants for new ones, I usually recommend performing the capsulectomy first and allowing the breasts to heal and contract. Sometimes this leads to a satisfactory result and prevents the need for a lift. In other situations, a lift may still be desired, but even then, the degree of lift is typically lessened.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pain in breasts

+1

You probably would need a lift.I often remove the implants let them settle down and do a lift later.In some cases it is obvious that a lift would be needed.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Would Mastopexy Be Likely?

+1

After you complete your imaging studies, the best way to get an answer will be in the setting of a consultation.

It seems highly likely that removal of the capsule will be necessary, and it that setting it is uncommon to offer a mastopexy at the same time because of increased risks of depriving the breast of adequate blood supply. 

That simplifies the decision tree--no decision on a lift, and the wait 6 months, see if the skin shrinks down and decide then.j

All the best. 

Breast Lifting Necessary after Removal of Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question but, without examination or viewing pictures, it is not possible to provide you with precise advice regarding the potential need for breast lifting surgery ( after removal of breast implants).  The position of your breasts on your chest wall and the position of your nipple/areola complexes on your breasts will determine whether breast lifting will be helpful.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Unless the breast implant capsules have thickened and/or otherwise symptomatic, there is no indication to have them removed. On the contrary, capsulectomy  can expose you to additional risks.

Consulting with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person will be helpful.

Mastopexy after expalantation?

+1

It is difficult to say whether a mastopecy is necessary or possible after your implant removal without an exam.  If you do not have alot of tissue and you ahve large implants it may not be possible at that point and you may have to see how things heal.

Breast implant explant

+1

After so many years the implants are possibly ruptures. and the skin has lost its elasticity.

Workup the changes in the breast mammogram, then make a decision after the results.

If explant and capsulectomy is done, you most probably need a lift. Ofcurse that also depend on the shape of the breast you want. Discuss with your plastic surgeon all options and expected results and potential risks and complications.

hope the changes in the breast mammogram are ok