Blood Work. Is It Necessary?

I'm 61 yrs. old and scheduled for breast explantation next month, without replacement. Is it mandatory or advisable to have blood work done & an EKG pre op? One Dr. asked if I wanted it? another said I would have to have it?

Is Blood Work Necessary?

+1

Thank you for your question. I would recommend the tests as we have picked up things which delayed surgeries for 1-2 months until certain things were corrected. Certain risks go up after 40 years of age so being more careful is in your interest.  I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Blood Work. Is It Necessary?

+1

Some tests are advisable in patients of certain age and higher, and patients with various ailments and who take certain medications to help manage the risks of anesthesia and surgery.  The idea is to identify problems that might not be apparent on history and physical exam. 

Each hospital and surgicenter has its own guidelines. An EKG would be required of men your age in the places I do surgery, but not for women who are felt to be in good health.

All the best. 

Blood work and preoperative workup for anesthesia.

+1

Blood work, ECGs, and chest x-rays are common tests to have preoperatively when undergoing anesthesia. The indications for the different studies are based upon the patient age and medical status. Basic lab work is important due to the occult nature of certain liver and kidney disorders which may affect the metabolism of the anesthetics used. ECG and chest X-rays give a basline function of the cardio-pulmonary system which in older individuals is usually mandatory prior to general anesthesia. Although it may seem as though the precautions outweigh the perceived "risk" of the surgery, safety is a primary concern and limiting anesthetic risk falls under this umbrella.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant removal and preop blood work

+1

Most of the preop testing is done to ascertain your risk of anesthesia rather than the risk of the surgery itself.  Most surgery centers have cutoffs of age that partially determine their requirements for blood work.  This may be 60 or 65 depending on the center.  That could explain the difference and confusion.  I hope that helps.

Eric Egozi, MD

Blood Work and EKG Preoperatively?

+1

I think that it is advisable to have recent blood work and EKG done for patients in your age group.

Blood work before or

+1

This is often up to the discretion of the surgeon.If soemone has not had a physical or lab work done in the last 6 months or so it really is not a bad idea.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Preoperative Surgical Prep

+1

Anytime you have surgery with anesthesia, a good rule of thumb is preparation for prevention.  While there can be some additional costs, bloodwork may be beneficial if you have other medical conditions (eg. diabetes, low blood counts, etc.) A full comprehensive set of tests may not be needed but basic blood tests and/or EKG can help screen for potential caution situations in relation to your medical status and/or your daily medications.  Be safe and come through your surgery healthy.  Good luck, I hope this info is helpful.

Ronald H. Stefani Jr, MD

Blood work prior to surgery

+1

I get blood work and medical clearance on most patients who are undergoing general anesthesia in my office or  the hospital especially in someone who is 61.

Blood Work. Is It Necessary?

+1

The blood work is not required for the surgery, but the anesthesiologist may require it. Implant removal without replacement may be a rather quick and simple surgery depending on your individual circumstances. You really need to speak with your doctor and possibly the anesthesiologist to see if the tests are necessary.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Blood work for plastic surgery

+1

The answer is yes. You should have a recent EKG and recent bloodwork within 1 month. Depending on your health, you may need a clearance letter from your primary doctor.

Best Wishes.

Adrian Lo, MD

Adrian Lo, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon