Am I too big for a TT? (Photo)

I am scheduled for my TT on Tuesday, my doctor said I was a good candidate for the procedure, but other people have been telling me that im still too big. I am 5'2 235lbs, and very muscular which I know isnt considered when BMI is calculated. I have lost about 80lbs. I just want to know what other medical doctors think.

More weight reduction prior to a Tummy Tuck??????????

+2
The answer is YES. It is advisable to lose as much weight as possible prior to your tummy tuck trying to reach that elusive 30 BMI. It is also admirable that you have lost the amount of weight you have been able to lose. Sometimes it becomes a very difficult task for some patients to continue to lose weight. They hit a plateau and become frustrated at not losing any further weight. There are many issue to consider and they need to be discussed with your doctor. I have performed tummyn tucks in overweight patients who have failed to co0ntinue to lose weight despite giving them ample time to do so. Many of these patients went on to lose further weight after their tummy tuck. The TT served as an incentive and caused an improved self-esteem.

So in the best circumstance, you should continue to lose weight. However if you have reached a plateau, then consult with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Good luck and congrats on your weight loss!

Too big for a tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your question and photograph. At the present time there is too much excess fat beneath the skin for a tummy tuck. Weight loss is required before a tummy tuck can be properly done.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Weight

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

In my opinion, the less weight you weigh will give you greater results.

I suggest for you to keep loosing weight, the ideal weight for a tummy tuck is under 200 pounds.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Am too big for a TT?

+1
Thank you for your question. I think you are being smart by reaching out to us for more advice. Congrats on losing 80lbs that's not an easy task. I think that for your safety and for a better overall outcome it would be better to drop down to a BMI below 30. It's true that you can remove some of that excess that is bothering but the risk will out way the benefit. I wish all the best with your lifestyle modification.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Too big for tummy tuck?

+1
You are not too big to undergo a tummy tuck now. However your long term results would be better if you were able to loose additional weight and be stable at that lower weight for several months. As mentioned by others the risks associated with the procedure would also decrease with additional weight loss. Think of this whole process as "life changing" so be patient, think long term and discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon (certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery). Good luck.

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Am I too big for a TT?

+1
Best to obtain IN PERSON second opinions to be sure you should not lose additional weight like 30 more pounds... 

Am I too big for a TT?

+1
Thanks for youur question and the good photos. You can have the surgery now and will see some results, but you are at an unacceptable risk for elective cosmetic surgery. You have done great to lose 80# and should most definitely continue that program until your BMI is under 35 and preferably under 30 to get the best results. I feel bad telling you to postpone your surgery but there is no point risking your health and your life for cosmetic procedures. Someone gave you very bad advice! If you procede with surgery you most definitely need to be in the hospital for your early recovery and not at home.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Am I too big for a TT?

+1
You are certainly a good candidate for the procedure, when ready.
The fact that you are on a dynamic weight loss program and lost 80 lbs, is great. I think you still have more homework to do.
I recommend you wait until your weight stabilizes for few months before you proceed with surgery.
At some stage, it may help to consult with a plastic surgeon that can help guiding you through the process and prepare you for surgery.

Maan Kattash, MD, FRCS

Am I too big for a TT?

+1
Along the same same lines as some of the other doctors have stated, you are at an increased risk with your BMI. Secondly, you didn't mention if you are stable at that weight or are still losing weight.  We prefer you to be at stable at your desired weight.

I would recommend staging you procedure.  You can do lipo of hips and flanks first. And continue to lower you BMI.  Once your BMI is more in the 35 range, then you can do a Tummy Tuck more safely.  The panniculectomy as another doctor mention would be the better option if you want to get rid of that "spare tire now.  Less wound healing complications.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Tummy Tuck

+1
From your pictures it is apparent that you have lost a significant amount of weight.  If you find your weight is stabilizing, you can proceed with the abdominoplasty.  You can still have a significant benefit from the procedure including removal of all the excess anterior abdominal wall tissue and liposuction of the hips and flanks.  Your BMI is 43 which is not ideal and makes you more prone to wound healing complications.  Ideally a BMI closure to 30-35 range would reduce your complication rate. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon