48 and Asthmatic is a Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck Safe to Do Together?

to do at the same to do at the same time

Combined procedures

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done.   If your asthma is well controlled and managed by your internist/PCP or pulmonogist, you should be OK.  Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Patients with asthma can have combined operations safely is the asthma is under control.

+1

Most studies show the combination procedures are just as safe as staggering the procedures. The patient with well-controlled asthma that is otherwise healthy can safely undergo an abdominoplasty in breast surgery.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Asthma and mommy makeover.

+1

There is a large degree of variation in asthma from patients who have minor exercise induced asthma to those requiring a rescue inhaler throughout the day. Preoperative clearance, possible discussions with your pulmonologist, and anesthesia consultation for considerations in regard to procedure length and safety will all help determine what's right for you. A mommy makeover is a long operation for most patients and it is certainly reasonable to stage it if there is any question.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover can be performed safely with Asthma

+1

A few years ago I switched to TIVA (total intravenous anesthesia) for all my cosmetic surgery. This has made the safety issue with asthmatics much less. We pre-treat with your inhaler before surgery and have had no problems with triggering asthmatic attacks in the perioperative period. If you are steroid dependent or still smoke this changes the ballgame. Good luck in your quest.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and breast lift with asthma

+1

These procedures can safely be performed together; asthma should not interfere with this at all.  General anesthetics are usually good for asthma since they can be used to deliver bronchodilators.

Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck is safe when combined

+1

Age alone is does not make a procedure unsafe. It depends on how severe is your asthma and can your body cope with the long anaesthetic. Your PS and Anaesthesiologist can tell you at the Pre op consult. If you have no other medical issues then I dont see a problem.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Safety of breast lift plus tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question about combining a breast lift and tummy tuck.

• Age alone does not affect combining breast lift and tummy tuck.
  • Well controlled asthma does not affect having a breast lift and tummy tuck
  • What is important? Length of surgery, obesity, diabetes, chronic lung or heart disease, past blood clots - among other issues. 
  • A good surgeon will assess your health before surgery. Hope this helps.

Safety of Multiple Procedure Surgery at 48?

+1

The physicians who know you best will be able to determine whether you are a good candidate for the combination procedures. Combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility all will be important  considerations.

Given that you are considering major surgery,  some additional words of advice may be helpful to you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.
It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively.

Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Asthma and Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Hi Mitalaunica64

This really depends on how bad your asthma is. If you suffer from frequent asthma attacks, then separating your procedures is likely to be safest. If your asthma is well controlled, then doing both procedures in the one sitting might be safe enough.

With health issues like this, it will be important to have your procedure performed in an accredited facility and overseen by an anaesthesiologist (not just an assistant or technician). A consultation with your anaesthesiologist, even a phone call, a few days prior to your surgery will help keep you as safe as possible. Skimping on costs here could have disastrous outcomes.

Good luck & stay safe

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery and asthma

+1

The safety of doing the 2 procedures together is independent of your asthma. If your asthma is not controlled and you have an asthma attack at the onset of anesthesia it doesn't matter whether you planned to do one or both of these procedures. You need to bring your inhaler with you to surgery and appropriate precautions need to be taken before, during and after surgery to ensure a problem free operation.

I have operated on asthma patients without any problems. In some cases their internists adjusted their asthma medications around the time of surgery and that was all that was required.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.