Is a TT my Only Option to Tone my Abs Now? (photo)

I would like to know if I should get a mini or a full tummy tuck. I am 5'7 and weigh 140lbs. I have had two kids and my youngest is five years old. I use to work out a lot but haven't lately. I want to know if I started working out 6 days a week and eating clean could I tone my abs and see them?

Full Tummy Tuck vs Mini-tummy tuck

+3

Thanks for the pictures, they really help illustrate your valuable question.  Your pictures show that you have stretched out skin from the pubis to the level of the umbilicus.  If you decided to workout all of the time and lose 30 pounds, you would lose the extra bit of fat that you have in the midsection, the skin would look even more deflated, and you would not have time to do anything else.  On the other hand,  a full abdominoplasty would remove the majority of the excess tissue and tighten your lower abdomen.  The end result would be a nicer contour.  Please go see a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated.  Best wishes.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Abdminoplasty

+3

You would get the most benefit from a full abdominoplasty. A mini tuck will not accomplish what you want, and you will not be happy.

Exercise and diet will not reverse stretched skin.

Good luck

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

TT to tone my Abs

+2

Yes   TT ,  is  the  porcedure  to get  a flat  Abs,  your    skin  has lost   elasticty,  and collagen   and is not   way   to  recovery   all this strech  marks make  the  skin  of   very bad  quality , the  only   way  to   change  the  aspect  of  loose of  the  extra   skin  is  performing  a TT    to  resect   this   skin   and  to  tighten  with  the  remaining  upper   skin 

Cynthia Disla, MD

Tummy Tuck Options?

+2

Exercise, a healthy lifestyle, and sensible diet all play a role in maintaining health. You could exercise all day long, 7 days a week and not achieve what you want. The skin and muscle are stretched from prior pregnancies and no amount of exercise will regain your pre-pregnancy figure. Modified and mini tummy tucks can produce a significant improvement in the appropriate candidate. With the extent of the tissue looseness that is apparent in your photos, a full tummy tuck and liposuction will achieve a better cosmetic result.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on 2 dimensional photos, without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full TT

+2

Hi Ashley. You have stretch marks all over your lower stomach. If you do a full TT you will get rid of most of them. You will also get a tighter looking tummy as far as the skin and muscles are concerned. Good luck

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mini or full tummy tuck for my loose abdomen.

+2

Thank you for your question.  It would appear from your photos that you have quite a bit of loose skin, as well as poor muscle tone.  A full abdominoplasty would be most suitable for you, in my opinion.  I never like to fully judge these opinions without a  full examinationof the patient, .  The goal has to give you a firm, well contoured abdomen.  A lesser procedure may not give you the better result.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+2

Thank you for posting your photos. Given what I see in your photo, I think you would get the most benefit from a full tummy tuck.  Please view the video I've posted on mini vs full tummy tuck.  Best wishes

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs and history, it is likely that you will do best with full tummy tuck surgery.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck will give you what you want

+1

To get rid of your inelastic and redundant skin, a classic (full) tummy tuck is indicated. To see your abs afterwards it may have to be combined with liposuction in a procedure called a lipo-abdominoplasty that thins out the upper abdominal fatty layer. Also keep in mind where  the final position of your scar will end up. Because you do not have a lot of excess skin above the belly button, it may be higher on the abdomen or a small (old umbilicus) vertical scar my be used instead.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck Gets Best Results

+1

You're an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck that will not only flatten your abdomen but also eliminate the majority of your stretch marks.  Also, your umbilicus after a full tummy tuck will be a vertical "iny" without any visible scar line. 

The mini-tummy tuck is not suited for you as it will not eliminate the redundant skin of your abdominal wall, not eliminate most of the stretch marks and overall give you an inferior result.  Also, the scar from a mini-tummy tuck is nearly as long as for a full tummy tuck with much less of a result.

Eric Sadeh, MD