How Much Do We Talk About the Shaping of my Nose During Consultation?

I had my consultation about a month ago and we did some imaging and the doctor talked shortly about removing from the dorsal and then a little from the tip. But that was about it. It seemed to go so quickly. I'm having my surgery in the next couple weeks. If I meet with the doctor the day before my surgery is that enough time to talk about what he's going to do? I'm not quite sure how this all works so any help is great! Thanks so much!

How much of the consultation is dedicated to talking about shaping of the nose?

+1

This is an excellent question.  A great deal of my work is revising work done by other doctors -- often as the result of poor communication upfront. Good communication prior to your procedure is paramount to a good end result.   It is up to you to make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page before you get on the table. Every surgeon has their own protocol, and each will allocate time differently during a consult.  If you feel like you need more clarification about your procedure and/or the results, speak up.  If you don't feel like your questions are welcomed, find another surgeon.  Many surgeons use computer imaging software (I highly recommend using a surgeon who does this). This will give you a visual idea of the final result. In general, you should have plenty of time to discuss any concerns with your surgeon during the pre-operative appointment, which may be the day before in some cases. My rule of thumb, never go into something as major as surgery without feeling like you have all the information you need.   Good luck with your surgery!

How much do we talk about shaping of my nose?

+1

The consultation is a discussion about the shape of your nose , what can be done and what cannot be done to meet your expectation and what does not meet your expectations. That is the time when you decide whether you really want to have it done and probably would not if it did not meet your expectations.

John S. Poser, MD

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 25 years and my consultations are about 1 hour.  During that time, I educate, the patient as to what should be done aesthetically to the nose and just how technically that will be done during the Rhinoplasty.  Sounds like you need to go back to your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for a second consultation to have things explained to your understanding.  Hope this helps.

Not Enough Quetions During Consultation For Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Kcoast,

It seems to me that you have some hesitation/concerns as to your surgery; if you are not 100% ready to undergo the procedure, then you should postpone it until you are.

However, if the issue is not having enough time during your consultation to ask the questions you would like to ask to be well informed about your surgery then you have the right to contact your surgeon and express you concerns.

After all, I am sure that every capable surgeon will be glad to answer all his/her patients' questions and explains the essential details of their surgeries.

It is not uncommon that patients get overwhelmed and they go for a consultation with couple of questions in mind but will come up with much more after they leave the surgeon's office.

I recommend that you communicate with your surgeon as I am sure that he/she will be happy to clear things out for you.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty consultation

+1
During the Rhinoplasty consultation most of your questions should be answered. If you have any further questions those should be asked during your preoperative appointment. I typically do my preoperative appointments two weeks before surgery unless the patient is flying in from out of town then I will review all questions with them the day before. In the preoperative appointment we spend another full hour reviewing all questions, going over the computer imaging of the proposed procedure and discussing your pre and post operative instructions. If you have any unanswered questions schedule another consulting appointment so that your mind is at ease prior to your procedure. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Information Needed Before making an Educated Decision Regarding Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

It sounds like you have many unanswered questions about your rhinoplasty surgery. Schedule another consultation before your pre-operative visit on the day before surgery so you have time to digest the information. If there are any doubts get a second opinion from another surgeon.

You should feel comfortable before proceeding with surgery

+1

Nose surgery can be a scary prospect and it is very important to feel comfortable with not only the surgeon but what is going to be done with your nose. During the initial consultation, it is common to discuss the basic areas of focus, i.e. bridge, tip, septum and what will be done. During the preoperative visit, usually 1-2 weeks before surgery, the surgery should be discussed in more detail, including techniques that might be used for the tip and nasal bridge. During that visit, all your questions should be answered and you should feel very comfortable with the surgical process, recovery, and postoperative care. As a patient, you should trust your surgeon and have a right for your questions to be answered.

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

Don't Proceed With Surgery Until Your Consultation is Complete

+1

It is incredibly important that you feel completely comfortable going in to your surgery. It is not uncommon, especially before a rhinoplasty, to have 2 or 3 consults with my patients in order to make sure that we are going to get the result that the patient and not the surgeon desires. Call your surgeon's office right away to schedule another appointment prior to the surgery in order to make sure you are comfortable with what is about to happen. Most importantly, if you are not ready to do the surgery when it is scheduled, you can always push it back. You don't want to do this at the last minute however, so the sooner you can get in to see your surgeon, the better. Good luck.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shaping

+1

Second consultation is appropriate and certainly in order.  Never proceed with surgery unless you have all your questions answered.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Best to talk to your surgeon and clear things up before surgery.  A well informed patient will be a more satisfied patient.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon