Insurance is Covering my Breast Reduction, Will They Cover a Tummy Tuck Too?

I am having a breast reduction paid for my tricare/united healthcare. But lately I have also been considering a tummy tuck as well. Tomorrow I am calling my plastic surgeon to talk to him about possibly getting it done at the same time, and having insurance cover it. Since my pregnancy and weight loss it seems like my flappy-skin tummy isn't getting any smaller. Its almost just lifeless skin hanging there. It is always irritated, and rashy. Is there any chance it can be covered?? Please help

Tummy Tuck At the Time of Breast Reduction

+1

Women with large breasts are often built like an "apple" with all of their weight in their abdomen. Combining a breast reduction with a tummy tuck is a great idea, but insurance will not  cover the abdominal part. Forty per cent of my breast reduction parients choose do have either liposuction or Tummy tuck at the time of their breast surgery.  Talk with your surgeon about your options.  Good luck!

It is unusual for tummy tuck to be covered by insurance.

+1

Tummy tuck is usually elective, cosmetic procedure; therefore, most tummy tuck is not covered by insurance.  If you have documented medical problems (rashes, cellulitis, etc) arising from the pannus, panniculectomy may be covered by certain insurance carriers. It would be best for your plastic surgeon to examine you and have him/her give you the guidance.

Sugene Kim, MD

Probably not...

+1

I don't think so....Insurance companies are pretty tight with that sort of thing nowadays....There would have to be other issues for them to bite off on that!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with the abdominal wall skin after weight loss. Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that any health insurance company will cover tummy tuck surgery.  Sometimes, panniculectomy surgery is a "covered procedure". Best to check with your insurance company for specifics.

Coverage for abdominoplasty

+1

Insurance companies are very difficult to deal with these days.   They only time they will cover a panniculectomy to remove the excess, overhanging skin is if it has been infected and nonresponsive to antibiotics for a year (and I mean IV antibiotics). I have had only 2 of these cases approved, both after enormous weight loss of greater than 250 pounds.  The insurer will take  the position that the intention is cosmetic and that the rashes should be treated topically.  

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Insurance for TummyTuck

+1

Tricare/United is a difficult company to get anything covered. I would consider you fortunate to get the Breast Reduction covered. Tummy tuck will definitely not be covered.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

+1

Insurance will sometimes cover a panniculectomy after massive weight loss, but it will not cover a tummy tuck.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Almost all insurers consider a TT to be cosmetic. Some avoid the issue and  just exclude coverage for TT regardless of the indication. 

The only answer of importance will come from your insurer, and your surgeon can help with that. All the best. 

Insurance Coverage and Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

You really need to be asking your insurance company as they dictate what they will cover and what they won't. Having said that I am doubtful it will be covered as tummy tucks are usually deemed "cosmetic." 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Insurance for Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck

+1

Insurance companies each have their own guidelines. Your surgeon will know if there might be a possibility to get some coverage due to the issues you have with rashes etc., although tummy tuck surgery is usually considered a cosmetic procedure, it won't hurt to try. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD