Am I a Candidate for Nose Tip Derotation? (photo)

I am a 16 year old male and my mother has an over-rotated nose as well. It gives off a pig-like appearance and shows too much of my nostrils. I am of half-Filipino and half-Norwegian ethnicity. Could I be a possible candidate for a derotation rhinoplasty? If so, how much should I expect to pay for this, and how long is the recovery time? My understanding is that this is a difficult procedure. Judging from my pictures, would I perhaps need additional procedures done to shrink the nostrils, etc.?

Rhinoplasty to de-rotate a nose

+2

Dear Cole Peterson,

1. The nose can be de-rotated so that your nostrils are not as visible
  2. It is not a simple operation for natural looking results and takes significant cartilage grafting, so you need to see someone who does a lot of rhinoplasty
  3. The cost varies according to your region and you can check RealSelf for average prices in your area

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nasal surgery

+2

In your case I feel you are too young to undergo a rhinoplasty. The "derotation" thing, however, usually doesn't work very well and I would advise against it even if you were older. Sorry!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Am I a Candidate for Nose Tip Derotation?

+1

Please share this answer with your parents since you are under 18 years of age.  From the photos provided, the nasal tip is over-rotated.  In that scenrio, an isolated procedure can be performed, without a full Rhinoplasty, that tucks the lower portion of the Columella making the tip appear to be rotated downward.  The chin is also very weak which makes the lower face appear unbalanced.  Chin Augmentation with a Chin Implant would balance the entire face.  

Is nasal tip derotation possible

+1

Hi Cole,

It's hard to say for certain without an examination but you may be a candidate for rhinoplasty to retotate your tip. Despite what you may have read elsewhere here, there are solid techniques available to bring the tip of the nose down so it is less upturned.

You're right that it is a more challenging procedure compared with standard rhinoplasty but in experienced hands great results are attainable.

You can check out my web reference link below to read more about upturned nose treatment.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Nose Tip Derotation

+1

The length of a nose can be increased with cartilage grafts and the nostrils narrowed but it is difficult to be more specific without a profile view of your nose. The cost will vary depending on what has to be done, but this will cost about $7,000-10,000 and should be done by a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.