What Do I Do with This Syringe of Juvederm?

A plastic surgeon injected my top lip with Juvederm a month ago. He only used .3 of the CC. I went back for more yesterday but the doctor refused to do it and GAVE me the syringe. So now I don't know what to do with this CC. I have called numerous doctors and they all said they wouldn't do it, and that what this doctor did is ILLEGAL. I paid 700$ for this CC and i dont want to waste it, where can I find someone to inject me? My friends are offering to do it for me but I dont trust them. Help!

Unused Juvederm

+3

I do not save any unused filler in my practice as I can not absolutely guarantee to my patients that if we stored it it was their product. What if there was a clerical error and the wrong one was injected into the wrong patient. There is no reason to provide such risk for an elective cosmetic procedure.  What if there had been an electric outage without the doctor knowing for a whole weekend and the partially used syringe stored in the refrigerator warmed up. That might increase the risk of infection when the residual product would be injected. Do not let your friends inject it! That might  be illegal in your state as the practice of medicine by  an unlicensed individual.

Left over Juvederm

+3

I totally don't understand this question.  Unless there is something you did to really spook the doctor from wanting to care for you anymore, there are always places on the face (ie nasolabial folds) where you can park the left over Juvederm.  Now, all I can suggest is that you dispose of the syringe in the trash.

Are you sure this was a real plastic surgeon??

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Get rid of it!

+2

THROW IT OUT! Don't think of the money that you have lost, but rather all the aggravation and potential complications that you have spared yourself!  That syringe is old and could be contaminated, and no reputable physician would inject you with it at this point.  You should not even have it.  It is also medical waste and is considered a "sharp."  I would take it back to the person who injected it initially and ask his office to at least dispose of it appropriately. 

B. Aviva Preminger, MD

You must throw away the Juvederm syringe your doctor handed you-BUT NOT IN THE REGULAR TRASH!

+2

I have never heard of such (unethical?) behavior like you describe, of a physician handing a patient a partially used syringe. It is extremely appropriate at times to NOT use a full syringe, unlike what I have seen many physicians try to state here in answers to other questions. It's never appropriate to force usage of the full syringe. There is controversy over whether it is ok to save unused filler for use at a later date. The more conservative, safer approach is never to save partially used filler. Do not let your friends inject you. Do not try to do it yourself. Do not hand it to another doctor to do. Any doctor who would take an opened syringe from who-knows-where and inject it under someone's skin is not an ethical doctor.

You may report this doctor to the professional conduct board, and see what they think of it, but do not use the syringe for anything. In fact, you also really should not throw it out in normal trash, because it is considered hazardous medical waste and this would be considered a federal offense. Sorry for your financial loss, but happy that you were not injured by anyone physically.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Can SOMEONE Inject me with an opened, one month old, partially used Juvederm Syringe

+2

Regarding: "What Do I Do with This Syringe of Juvederm?
A plastic surgeon injected my top lip with Juvederm a month ago. He only used .3 of the CC. I went back for more yesterday but the doctor refused to do it and GAVE me the syringe. So now I don't know what to do with this CC. I have called numerous doctors and they all said they wouldn't do it, and that what this doctor did is ILLEGAL. I paid 700$ for this CC and i dont want to waste it, where can I find someone to inject me? My friends are offering to do it for me but I dont trust them. Help
!"

The only safe way to use fillers is to open a fresh syringe and use it completely each time. The moment a syringe is opened is can become contaminated. Keeping a syringe for a month poses REAL problems. Are you SURE it was not contaminated by bacteria? Are you sure  another patient was not injected with it?

No ethical physician would take the risk of hurting a patient by injecting her with an old, opened syringe of uncertain origin. It's time to throw it in the can.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Best not take a chance on a partially used syringe

+2

1. How do you know that this is the syringe that was used on you? If there was a mixup and you got someone else's syringe, you could be exposed to some serious diseases.

2. Even if it was your syringe, what conditions was it stored under? Sterile? Refrigerated? If conditions were inappropriate, the syringe could be contaminated.

I would not take a chance, if I were you. Throw out the partially used syringe.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't do it!

+1

Do not inject nor let your friends inject the Juvederm! I would highly recommend trying to find a board certified plastic surgeon to inject the left over filler. They may charge you a fee but this is definitely something that you would want to pay for. It may be difficult to find a doctor to help you but keep trying.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Juvederm

+1

Do not inject the Juvederm as it is not safe. Seek out a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to perform your next injection.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Discard unused Juvederm syringe that was given you by your physician's office

+1

From all the answers written, you have the clear consensus of what to do. This remaining Juvederm must not be used and has to be discarded. The risks on mulitple levels are not worth it such as contamination of the syringe with bacteria or even mislabeleing given the way this situation was handled.

It is extremely unfortunate that you spent so much and were treated this way. In the future, seek out a reputable board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist experienced in injectables.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Reusing a Juvederm syringe is not good practice!

+1

Absolutely do not have your friends inject a used juvederm syringe. I am surprised that any physician would give you a syringe to take out of the office setting and under the pretext of using at a later date. Juvederm is injected specifically by a trained physician and we have hundreds of patients we treat and experience behind us. You will need to take the syringe back to a physician's office or a lab where it may be properly disposed of without risk into a hazardous needle container. Better safe then sorry on this one.

Michael Elam, MD