Is This Synechium Scar Tissue After Revision? Does It Cause Swelling? (photo)

1st surgery was in Oct 2008. I had a silicone L-shaped implant inserted. I first noticed this weird nostril-blocking fleshy-thing sometime after the surgery. I ignored it because I thought it was inside of my nose anyways and no one is going to see it unless they look up my nose. Revision in Nov 2011. Implant replaced with ear cartilage. The fleshy nostril-blocking thing on my right nostril is still there. I found out it was called a synechium. Is this scar tissue? Does it cause swelling? Thx.

Synechia Obstructing Nostril

+1

This is a band of scar tissue called a "synechia" which can be reduced or eliminated surgically. It probably does obstruct nasal air flow.

Scar Tissue After Revision

+1

This type of scar tissues can and do cause obstructive symptom and can be corrected with incision  ( laser vaporization is best ) and silicone sheet splint between cut areas for several days.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgery4you.com

Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is this a synechiae?

+1

It is a web which is scar tissue. Unless it is causing you breathing problems it requires no treatment.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is This Synechium Scar Tissue After Revision? Does It Cause Swelling?

+1

This appears to be a web along the top portion of the incision used in a Closed Rhinoplasty.  Rhinoplasty Surgeons sometimes don't close that section of the incision but I always do in order to prevent just such an occurrence.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Rhinoplasty Scar Tissue

+1

Your picture appears to show scar tissue in the nasal vestibule, probably extending into the internal nasal valve.  This is one of the most difficult complication to correct after Rhinoplasty.  However, release of the scar tissue followed by application of mitomycin might be helpful.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scar tissue Inside Nose

+1

The"fleshy nostril-blocking thing" IS scar tissue bridging across the apex of the nose, in this case, near the nasal valve, a very important part of the nasal airway. These are quite challenging to get rid off and are best avoided.