Unhappy With Asymmetry After Reconstruction/ PMB- Revision?

I recently(2 weeks ago) had my expanders exchanged for implants. I am so unhappy. My left breast is higher and larger than my right. My PS told me I need to wait at least 6 weeks. The three things that are so upsetting are they are misshapen, uneven height and different sizes! Help! When is it reasonable to have a revision and how is it that the same size implant has yielded two different sized breasts? Thank you...

Disappointed soon after Expander exchange for Implants

+2

Breast reconstruction can frequently be complicated. I would let the scars soften (at least 3 months.) Your surgeon should guide you through this. Revision can improve things but is best accomplished when things are mature.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Disappointment after breast reconstruction

+2
Sorry for your disappointment. I would not consider a revision for three months. Then u could better assess shape and volume issues. Without photos and appreciation of the usual asymmetries of your breasts preop it is hard to answer your question. Your plastic surgeon or someone else who examines you could perhaps shed some light on your concerns. At this time, I would encourage you to enjoy some time outside of physician's offices and remember that revisions are common to get better symmetry. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Yes asymmetry after implant placement can be corrected

+1

Asymmetry after implant placement can happen and it can be corrected.  At times it can be challenging to accurately identify the need for different size impants or changes in position to avoid an asymmetric appearance.  Let all of the swelling resolve from this procedure and at that point things should appear to be more even.Within a few moths you could have a revision.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Breast Reconstruction

+1

Breasts rarely look even after surgery.  So waiting 6-8 weeks is perfectly acceptable.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction asymmetry

+1

Certainly some breast asymmetry is normal, but you really have to give it a few months for things to settle down. 

Breast reconstruction is not breast augmentation

+1

Please remember that breast reconstruction after mastectomy is a totally different thing than breast augmentation and the potential results are much different.  It is important to be patient but also to downplay your expectations.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

BREAST RECONSTRUCTION

+1

You are only two weeks after surgery, you are still swallen.If there are major issues consult another experienced plastic surgeon