Will I Get Symmastia? (photo)

As of right now I know I do not have symmastia. I'm still worried I could get it sometime in the Future. I have been stuffing rolled up wash cloths to keep then separated. Am I over thinking this? Is there anyway to stop the progression of symmastia? Will I ever be able to wear a push up bra? If so when? I'm now about 7 weeks post op. 450cc high profile silicone.

Symma

+4

If your implants are under the muscle, it is unlikely that you will get a symmastia.  It they are above the muscle, there is a risk.

Preventing Symmastia?

+2

As you mentioned, you currently do not have symmastia.  Although impossible to predict,  I do not think that it is likely that you will be develope symmastia either ( given that you have a clear cut area of definition between the 2 breasts currently).

Unfortunately, there is no specific way to “stop the progression” of breast implant displacement,  beyond the (possibly effective) modalities you are currently using.

Although I do not wish to belittle your concerns, I would suggest that you enjoy the outcome of the procedure performed.

Will I Get Symmastia?

+2

You certainly don't seem to have symmastia now, and unless your surgeon feels that he overdissected the central parts of the pockets, I would not expect that it is likely to occur in the future. There implants are obviously quite large on your frame, and the extend beyond the sides of the chest and are close together. My only preventative advice is to avoid larger implants in the future. 

As to specific postop instructions, those are far better answered by your own surgeon. All the best. 

Symmastia

+2

Hello and thanks for posting photos about your concerns. It does not appear that you currently have symmastia. Your breasts are fairly close together and there is a small risks of symmastia occurring in every breast surgery. Without performing and exam, however, I cannot advice you. It sounds like you're doing well overall and have a nice outcome so far. Talk to your PS about these concerns and I'm sure they can advice you. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I think your fine, if your implants are under the muscle its really hard to get synmastia as the muscle fibers are in the way, looks just like swelling in the skin which is common

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Possible synmastia, prevention

+1

At this point you do not have synmastia but it could develop in the future.  Synmastia when the two implant pockets erode into each other creating one large pocket.  It is actually more common when the implants are in the submuscular position if the muscle attachments to the edge of the breast bone, or sternum, are aggressively detached.  

Symmastia

+1

Based on your photos, you don't have symmastia - just a narrow cleavage.  In my experience of 15 years, it's pretty unlikely for symmastia to occur unless the surgical pockets were over-dissected, the patient had a pre-existing pectus excavatum ("funnel chest"), or was asking for excessively large implants for their frame size.  How far out from surgery are you?

Thomas Fiala, MD