Post Symmastia Repair, I Fear That Implants Are Too Big. (photo)

I am 5'6" and weigh 125. I had BA surgery last week and was undergoing a repair for symmastia. I formerly had 400CC moderate implants filled to 425. I had these and my condition for 15 years. My symmastia repair looks good (nervous and hope it holds), but my implants are 550 mod plus saline filled to 625. I have a shelf like appearance right now and am very nervous. Do implants typically drop? Is this implant way too big? If so, how long do I have to wait to go to a smaller size?

Symmastia and implants

+1

So far so good from the photos. Usually when performing this procedure smaller implants or at least implants that are not as wide are used to avoid pushing on the symmastia repair. As for the current position, they usually descend with time as the tissues accommodate to the implants.

Synmastia repair and large implants

+1

Dear Ft Mitchell4287,

it seems to me you are nervous about 2 issues: the repaired synmastia and the size of the implants.

according your picture, the right implant seems to veer already back towards the mid-line.

technically, for all synmastia repair, I would have suggested to use smaller and high-profile implants, therefore decreasing the diameter and decreasing the stress on the repaired tissues.

according your height and weight, 625 cc saline implants are very big for your body frame, too big for my personal opinion, and especially if you had a repaired synmastia.. yes, the IMF tissues will stretch under such weight, so they will " drop " in the future. but to the price of maybe back pain ( to carry such weight on your chest ), looking very big ( you must be a 34 or a 36 DD or E now ) potential bottoming out ( the implants drop too much because of their weight and thin tissues ) and the recurrence of the synmastia.

If you really want to be this cup size, I would suggest you to wait and wear 2 sport bras for support.

if not, then you should consider revision to a smaller size.

this should be discussed with your Board Certified plastic surgeon.

good luck,

Florence Mussat

Florence Mussat, MD

Confusing Symmastia (Uniboob) Repair Logic

+1

Symmastia (Uniboob) is created by a combination of cramming implants which are too large and surgically making the pockets for them under your breasts resulting in touching and merging of the pockets creating "kissing" breast implants.

If 425cc breast implants resulted in a Uniboob condition 15 years ago, HOW could this condition be solved by placing much larger 625cc implants in? Respectfully, this makes little surgical sense. Ideally, a Symmastia repair involves removing the scar tissue and stitching the inner walls of the breast pockets down, with or without the use of a biological sheet such as Alloderm or Strattice, down to the chest wall. To protect this repair from disruption by tension existing implants are frequently down sized and the breast pocket is adjusted accordingly.

Healing after symmastia repair

+1

healing after symmastia repair:

• i would reccommend an early change
  • use high profile smaller diameter implants
  •  these will have less stress on your repair
  • they may centralize the nipples

+1

Only a week post operatively! Way to early to be so concerned. Must be patient for a few months to allow settling of the implants. Also it appears you are using your arms TO MUCH, it might "rip" the repair of the symmastia. 

You need smaller implant,sooner rateher than later

+1

The logical thing would have been symmastia repair without increasing the implant size. The procedure for symmastia repair require repair of the pocket and moving implants lateral. Bigger implants will put pressure on the repair.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fear that implants are too big

+1

You have given yourself a great challenge with a very large breast implant and symmastia repair. The implant size and projection will place strain on the the breast envelope and repair. Breast implants don't 'drop', however the skin in the lower breast can gradually relax to allow the implant to settle in properly. Time will tell just what will happen.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Symmastia Repair Results?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your questions,  it is obvious that you are experiencing a significant amount of anxiety after your breast revisionary surgery. I would  respectfully suggest  that you follow-up with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to address your questions and concerns  with specific knowledge of what was done etc.

I'm concerned that the multiple online “opinions” will only add to your anxiety/confusion.

Symmastia repair and big implants

+1

Personally, the last thing I would have done is to go bigger in the face of trying to repair a symmastia.  The repair of a "uni-breast" is not easy and frequent reports of failure are out there.  Adding substantial stretching to the repair only logically increases the risk of failure.  At the moment your repair is holding but you do look pretty big and unnatural to me.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS