I Think I Have Symmastia? (photo)

got them 6 months ago the only part that was swollen was the middle 6 month on and between my breasts its still lifted. Its not that they are close together or anything its that the skin is lifted between the breasts. the surgeon keeps saying they look great yes he is board cert I can push down between them and it goes down about 1-2cm then when i let go it comes back up. He said it was free 2 fix any problems b4 surgery now he is charging me. i just want them out. Do you think its symmastia

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Symmastia

+1

You do have symmastia and revision is usually included from a surgeon's fee standpoint.  Hospital/Surgery Center & Anesthesiologist fees are your responsibility.  All the best.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

I Think I Have Symmastia

+1

Pre-op photos would be most helpful is making an assessment and recommendation. 

I don't think this is truly symmastia, but rather centrally displaced implants with tenting of the skin. Whatever it is called doesn't change what it is. 

Removing the implants is an option, but there are others. Most will involve smaller implants and suturing off the central-most parts of the pockets, and then wearing a thong bra to support the sutures until the areas are healed. 

As to fees, there is no universal policy--each office has its own. Some do, some don't charge a professional fee. Most will pass along charges for operating room and anesthesia. 

All the best. 

I agree, it looks like you have symmastia

+1

Symmastia repair can be relatively easy or more difficult depending on your anatomy - surgeons have different policies on revisions but these are usually laid out pre-operatively for patients at most offices.

Fixing symmastia

+1

In order to best know how to repair symmastia, it is important to know what the contributing factors to the problem are. One is implants with too large a base diameter, and no repair will hold up if that is the case. So any advice needs to consider what the breast measurements were before implants, and the specific dimensions of the implants. If the repair doesn't hold up, it may involve reinforcement with something like Strattice which would add considerable expense so it is very important to get it right the first time.

Web reference: http://www.drbaxter.com/corrective_procedures.html

Symmastia after Breast Implants

+1

Although there is a space between the breasts, it is hard to make any statements about the postoperative result with these photos and without any preoperative photos.  You can remove the implants if you want, but you may want to consider a revision with a different size.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Symmastia?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

As you can imagine, it is difficult to give you good advice based on the photographs. Based on what I see in the photographs however, I think you may be dealing with implants that are close to the midline ( but do not cross). Therefore, I do not believe that you have a case of true symmastia. More than likely, you are experiencing breast implant displacement medially as well as skin tenting.

If your breast implants are too close to one another in the cleavage area,  internal suture repair ( capsulorraphy) may be necessary to improve the situation. Unfortunately,  eliminating skin tenting may not be possible,  despite correction of the breast implant displacement.

I would suggest that you address your questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon;  ask to see examples of patients that he/she has helped in your situation.  You may find the attached link helpful to you as you do your research.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_symmastia.htm

Concerned about symmastia

+1

It would be helpful to see your before photos as well as more after photos.  It would be important to examine you in person as well.  I am also wondering what size your implants are. There are several options to be discussed including smaller implants that may not be as wide. Get a second opinion if you feel unsatisfied, but it still may be more cost effective to have your original doctor do your revision

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon