Can I Have Symmastia Naturally I Mean Without a Previous Bra Implant?

Symmastia without Augmentation

+1

Yes, this can happen and i recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon once breast maturity is reached.   Often, this will respond well to liposuction.   I hope this helps.

Dr. Gill

Yes, it is possible to have congenital symmastia without previous surgery.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photo.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Congenital Symmastia?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Yes, it is possible to have “congenital symmastia”, with breast tissue that seems to be too close to the midline of the chest ( sternum).  The incidence of this “problem” is much less than symmastia seen after breast augmentation surgery. Correction, in my opinion, is more challenging given that there is no breast implant capsule tissue to work with ( compared to symmastia correction surgery after breast augmentation procedures).  The few patients I have seen with this concern have chosen to avoid surgical intervention.

Liposuction surgery of the pre sternal area may be effective to some degree depending on the patient's specific anatomy;  this would have to be determined after physical examination.  Otherwise, I have recommended the patient stay away from any type of surgery that would result in scars along the pre-sternal area.

Can I Have Symmastia Naturally

+1

Most cases of symmastia are "acquired," the result of an unfavorable result of breast augmentation.

However symmastia also occurs and a "congenital" anomaly, and is quite rare. Most of my practice is breast surgery, and I have never seen a case.

There are techniques for correction published. Direct incisions over the sternum (breast bone) are discouraged because of a high incidence of  unfavorable scarring. Encouraged, instead, are incisions commonly used in aesthetic breast surgery, using incisions around the areola or in the breast fold. 

Call around in your community, though you may not find anyone who has treated one of these. Choose an experienced plastic surgeon who does a high volume of breast surgery, and you are likeliest to find someone who will have good judgement in dealing with this unusual anomaly. 

Thanks and best wishes.