Breasts very close together, pre and post-op - 325cc, Round, HP Overs: Do I Have Symmastia? (photo)

I have been stressing about breast symmastia lately and I hope that I don't have it. I am very happy with my results, but I can't tell whether I have great cleavage or symmastia. My breasts were fairly close together to start with, but after my augmentation they seem even closer. I am about 6 months post op. I had plenty of breast tissue to begin with and I have 325CC round HP overs (silicone).

Do I Have Symmastia?

+2

When a patient with implants has symmastia, the implants are touching. There is a clear separation that I note on the photo. Looks like a nice result, don't stress. All the best. 

No Symmastia After Breast Augmentation

+1
Judging from your photo, it does not appear that you have symmastia since your breasts are still isolated from each other with cleavage (even though the space of your cleavage is small). So, it looks like you just have "great cleavage"! You should be happy about your results, as they look great.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Symmastia

+1
No you don't have symmastia!

In breast augmentation I have chosen to spend time reviewing photographs with patients to fully understand their expectation of size and shape. Many times this simply raises more questions. I will make measurements and use the implant guides to allow the patient to understand exactly the sizes that are reasonable for their body type and measurements.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

No symmastia after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph. You do not have true symmastia as the skin between your breasts is still attached to your breast bone. Enjoy your resultant cleavage now. The natural history of many breast augmentation patients is that over the years the cleavage does become wider which is one of the most common complaints long-term about breast augmentation

I doubt that you will have this problem in the future.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Symmastia

+1

implies your pockets are connected and implants together creating the unaboob.  If your cleavage is deep and the skin attached to your underlying sternum, you do not have symmastia.  If the skin between the breasts is lifted off, it could be a concern.

Curtis Wong, MD

Symmastia

+1

No, you don't.  You have terrific result and there is a clear separation between your breasts with a well defined cleavage.  The breasts are simply close together.

Dean Trotter, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

No evidence of synmastia

+1

Your  implants are quite close together but there is a separation in the mid line.   This means that you do not have synmastia.  Synmastia occurs when the implant pockets erode into one another and you develop a uniboob.  

Good Result

+1

Thank you for pictures.  You have a great result.  You do not have symmastia.  Symmastia is loss of the natural border of the middle chest creating the look of one wide breast on your chest.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Do I have Synmastia

+1

This is not synmastia. The classic sign of synmastia is " bread loafing" where it looks like the ridges yuo see on the top of a loaf of bread and there is no gap between the left and right breast. The breast mounds are close , but not jooined as one so this is not synmastia.

All the best

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia?

+1

You do not have symmastia, but your implants are close together.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD