How Long to Go Back to Work for BA with Physical Job?

I have a very physical job - sports/remedial massage therapist. And was wondering, realistically, how much time I should take off work after a BA. I am booked in for 330cc unders....

Probably 6 weeks if physically demanding

+1
Generally, I advise patients don't do any upper body strength exercises for at least 6 weeks after surgery. As a result, this would probably apply to your job. However, you should ask your surgeon as they may have different guidelines.

Work

+1

Most patients require some form of medication for relief of pain for at least one week. Your activity seems pretty strenuous. I think one week off sounds reasonable

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Downtime after breast augmentation

+1

I have my patients raising there arms above their head in the recovery room.  I do use pain pumps and I like people to get back to all of their activity as soon as they can tolerate it.  You could ideally be back at work in 3-5 days.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD

Rapid Recovery following Breast Augmentation

+1

Many patients wish to minimize their downtime following breast augmentation but do not want to compromise the result of their procedure.  In my practice, most patients begin early motion with stretching every hour after surgery as part of a rapid recovery program.  They continue this routine for several days and return to light daily activity in 2-3 days.  Low impact aerobics are permitted after 10 days and full activity at 3 weeks without restriction.  Based on the requirements of your particular job, it may be 2-3 weeks before you can return to your full-time schedule.  Please check with your own plastic surgeon and follow the recommendations provided.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

+1

I generally advise no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 3-4 weeks.   Please talk to your plastic surgeon as he/she is the best person to answer your question.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1

Discuss this with your own surgeon, but expect to plan on 6 weeks before resuming full time physical work. You might be able to start on a lighter schedule after 3 weeks or so. I have had some massage therapists in my practice who were able to start at 3 weeks and ease back toward full time within a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your question, best wishes for your upcoming surgery. 

330 cc implant under the muscle and return to physical job

+1

Normally, a person receiving a 330 cc implant in my practice could generally go back to sedentary work the next dayLarger implants in smaller individuals require longer time off.   Avoiding strenous exercise for 4 to 6 weeks is convention.  The key here is how much strain does your job entail, and only you really know that.  If you work out as well, is the effort you exert on a bench press comparable to the effort you exert in your job?  If the answer is yes, then my answer is 4 to 6 weeks.  If the answer is not even close, then I would recommend 2 weeks off.  The rationale for two weeks would be that the risk of rebleeding and hematoma formation is highest in the first two weeks (mature clots stabilize with crosslinking at days 5 to 7).  The rationale for 4 to 6 weeks in a strenuous job is that scars achieve 75% of their strength at 6 weeks and are almost as strong as they will ever be.

Return to work after breast augment

+1
Although most patients return to work one week after augments, you should plan for at least two weeks off and should avoid lifting heavy objects for a minimum of 4-6 weeks postop.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Physical job and breast augmentation

+1

I usually have patients wait about 3-4 weeks to do light aerobic workouts and 6-8 weeks for vigorous acitivity. If you had a desk job I would say a few days to one week. Best to discuss this with your surgeon.

Return to Very Physical Job after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to your specific occupation/activities. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and whether you  have experienced any complications.

Generally speaking, I ask my patients to stay away from “very physical” work for at least 3 weeks after breast surgery.  Some will return to "modified duty” earlier.

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.