Swelling After Septo/Rhinoplasty. Is This Normal? (photo)

I had septo/rhinoplasty 12 days ago and I feel like the front view of my nose is too fat, even for swelling. Is this normal? My nose now is generally wider then what it was before. I have included a before, computer generated image and current photo. Thanks.

Swelling is significant in the first few weeks after rhinoplasty

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear.

At 12 days following rhinoplasty, you are still very early in your recovery. With regards to your concerns about the size of your nasal tip, it is just too early to draw any conclusions-but certainly you still have a lot of swelling which is normal.

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles.

It's hard but important to stay patient during your recovery and to be diligent attending your follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Swelling following rhinoplasty

+1

12 days is still very soon after your surgery, and you are close to the peak of your swelling. In general, swelling is 70% resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. It can take 18-24 months to see the final result of your surgery. It would be best to give it some time and see how you heal.  In the meantime, I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any post-operative concerns. They know the extent of your surgery and will be able to provide you with advice. I hope this helps and good luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Swelling After Septo/ Rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal tip edema or swelling in your terms is very common and can be quite prolonged in nasal surgery, especially if the major work was done on the tip structures. It may take several months before the swelling goes down and then it still may flare up even as long as a year after surgery. It will resolve so be calm and most of all…….patient.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

I assume you have consulted with YOUR DOCTOR.  Having said that, 12 days is NOTHING for a rhinoplasty.  Take a chill pill.  I tell my patients six weeks to see 80 to 90% of the result, six months to see final result.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

The nose gets very swollen after rhinoplasty and this can last a long time. Be patient with the results.

Swelling 12 Days after Septorhinoplasty

+1

Swelling 12 days after septorhinoplasty can be considerable.  Please give yourself time to heal.  It will take months before you can get an idea of the final result and a year or more before you realize it.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

I know it's hard not to worry about your nose, even early after surgery, but it is really true that there can be considerable swelling after rhinoplasty that can take months (or years) to resolve.  You must be patient.  Also, swelling frequently will fluctuate from one side to the other early after surgery.  Discuss with your surgeon.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after septorhinoplasty

+1

Based on your preop photos and what was done you are very swollen. It will take 2-3 months before you begin to see a closer approximation of your result. Be patient.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Edema and swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

You're extremely early in the recovery process, and at 2 weeks post-op are maximally swollen.  Give your time nose to heal before trying to assess the result. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD