Have my implants dropped? They have no moved in 6 weeks even after massaging them 2-3 times a day. (Photo)

12 weeks PO with 415cc hp under muscle. My height is 5.11 and weight 60kg. My implants have not moved in 6 weeks even after massaging them 2-3 times a day. My surgeon has assessed my photos and believes that in fact they have dropped and will remain this way. To me they sit so high (which I dislike and are not soft). My surgeon has said I am slim up top and have a large chest wall this is the look that is achieved.I will be examined next week and would like some feedback to go with. Thank you

Takes about three to four months

+2
It usually takes about three to four months for the breasts to drop and appear more natural in contour. It does look like your breasts have dropped slightly, but they'll probably drop a bit more in the coming weeks. A gradual redistribution of volume from your upper to lower breast will occur, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast. 

Breast implants have not dropped to 12 weeks.

+1
I agree with you that your breast implants are still high and have not dropped appropriately.  A 12 weeks with no change it is likely that the pocket is not low enough to allow the implant to drop.  A fairly straightforward simple revision is possible.  Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Implant position

+1
  • Your surgeon is right that this is the final position of the implants if nothing is done
  • You are right that they have not dropped significantly
  • The arm position is not the same in the 2 photos so I cannot comment as to whether there has been a little descent over the past 6 weeks - if so, it is minimal.
  • Both photos show the upper border of the implant to be at the level of your collar bone.
  • More than 50% of the implant is sitting above your nipples and they have not settled into the breast crease
  • I believe you need a re-operation to release the implant capsule,
  • I personally don't see the need for a donut lift - your nipples alread sit above the breast crease.
  • If your surgeon wants to delay surgery for 6 months, that would be a common approach but there is no question in my mind that you will need a revision.
  • At the time of the revision, consider a slightly smaller implant. It looks in the photo very large for your chest. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Have my implants dropped in 12 weeks?

+1
Thank you for your photos.  Patience is the key right now, and I would wait 6 months before reaching any conclusions. It is still too early to consider revision surgery.   I would recommend working closely with your surgeon at this point and follow his/her instructions.  Good luck.

Vladimir Milovic, MD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Implants dropped?

+1
Thank you for your pictures. There has been some change with your implant position but not enough to achieve a positive outcome.  I would recommend second opinions and a revision.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

At 3 months post-op it is unlikely that your implants will change position significantly

+1
While it is always possible for some small changes to occur upward to a year or so after surgery, it is my expectation that at 3 months the capsules are pretty well set in their position, and breast implants will likely not move much more.  In addition to this, most of the swelling and tissue thickness that we attribute to "implants dropping" has resolved at this point too.  I agree with your assessment based upon the images that you show here, namely that your implants do not appear to be centered on your true breast mounds.  The nipple must be the center of the breast mound, and if the center point of the implant is higher than the center point of the nipple, as it appears to be in your case, the top of the breast mound will appear too high, and the nipple will be "pushed" downward.  In addition to this, if the breasts are firm, you may also have capsule contracture, because one of the things that often happens with capsule contracture is that the lower part of the capsule tightens and pushes the implants upward further under the muscle.  To correct this, the implants need to be positioned more behind the nipple itself so that the maximal projection of the breast mound comes through the nipple.  I hope that makes sense.  This can be accomplished in three ways:  one either lowers the implants (usually the easier way), or one raises the nipples, or one does a combination of the two.  This may or may not also involve removal of all or part of the capsule depending upon how tight or thick it is and whether you have capsule contrature or not.  This principle about the nipple position and its relation to the breast mound is important to note, because sometimes, especially in ladies like yourself who are tall and have a long torso and thorax (chest), and whose breasts may reside slightly low on the chest wall, if the nipples are pointing downward to begin with and the implants are positioned too low just to match the nipple position, we will have breasts that essentially appear to be on the abdomen.  Thus, it all starts with nipple position, and the surgeon must make a determination as to whether that needs to be adjusted or not.  If so, a small lifting procedure, with our without implant repositioning would be indicated, but if the nipples are overall in a natural position (which yours appear to be as they are at your mid-humeral line, or the midpoint of your upper arms), then a simple repositioning of the implants would do the trick.  You may wind up with slightly less fullness of the top part of the breasts by doing this, but in the end, the breasts will look better balanced than they do now.  I agree with you, have a discussion with your surgeon, because the final determination of what needs to be done here can only be accomplished in person with an exam.  Sometimes this happens, and all of us that put in breast implants will see it from time to time if we do enough of them.  The point is not that it happens, but do we recognize it when it does and can we come up with a reasonable solution to the issue so that our patients are happy.  Good luck.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

Have my implants dropped? They have no moved in 6 weeks even after massaging them 2-3 times a day.

+1
They are NOW fixed in a high position. They will NOT drop! You may need open capsulotomy and inferior dissection of the pocket plus a dounut lifting...