Hyperpigmentation and Sun Damage from Surfing

G'Day! I have extensive sun damage & uneven skin tone from yrs of surfing. I have hyperpigmentation- any scratch, acne scar, sun exposure- leaves a darker discoloration on my face, neck, and forehead. Today I pile on zinc oxide & wear hats. I am using 2 products: "Hydroquinone USP,4%"- for spot treatment and "Tretinoin.05% Hydroquinone4%, Hydrocortisone1%"- to improve the texture of my skin. Am I doing the right thing?? Help! Need advice on whats best (and most economical) Thanks for advice!

Treating sun damaged skin

+1

The forehead skin looks very red in the photo. If you are applying these topical medications without doctor supervision you are most likely doing the wrong thing and the medications are contributing to the redness. Both hydroquinone and tretinoin car create or aggravate this red discoloration. You need to see a dermatologist and if you are currently seeing one you need to see another for a second opinion. Given that you are in Australia that doctors there should feel as comfortable treating this skin condition as a doctor in Alaska treating a frostbite.