Swelling After Veneers Normal?

Got my temporary yesterday. After the numbness went away my upper lip started swollen and overnight it ha increased. Is this normal or should I go to the hospital?

Swollen Upper Lip After Veneers

+1

I do not think you need to go to a hospital unless the swelling is some part of an allergic reaction you are having and you will have more symptoms than just a swollen lip. Veneers can be a traumatic procedure for some people and everyone is different. You do not mention pain and your top lip is swollen, which I think, is just a reaction to the work that was done on your teeth and surrounding tissue often will discolor and look brusied and  upper lips do swell. Some people experience pain and others do not. I would wait a few days and see if the swelling goes down.

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Is swelling normal after veneer procedure

+1

Preparing veneers are minimally invasive but still traumatic to teeth and soft tissue. If your swelling is very noticeable and painful, the procedure may have woken up a sleepy monster! Any one of your teeth could have had dormant issues. Call your dentist and ask him/her to see you ASAP.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Is Swelling After Veneers Normal?

+1

Even though we are in an age of minimally invasive treatments, all dental work is essentially minor surgery. Like any other type of minor surgery, you can have a range of issues afterwards from bothersome to serious.

After cosmetic dentistry you could have some irritation or bother. In general we don't see serious complications after veneers.

If your lip is swollen you could have a delayed sensitivity or allergic type reaction. While I don't think yours is an emergency, if it gets worse that you are really worried about it, then you can go to your MD or the emergency room.

Contact your cosmetic dentist right away, let them know what's happening, they may be able to advise you on any reason why you'd have that reaction.

Oftentimes Benadryl and Ibuprofen go a long way to lessening the swelling.

Swelling is not normal

+1

I would not suggest going to the hospital, but recommend returning to the dentist.  It may be something very simple (and may have gone away by the time you get to the office).  It is also possible that there was another issue with the teeth already present, and the treatment pushed things over the edge (like pulling the pin on a wound up coil).

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Swelling After Veneers is Not Normal

+1

You don't have to run to the hospital, but I do advise you to see your dentist immediately!

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Swelling is not normal after veneers

+1

Swelling is not normal after a veneer prep.  I would advise that you return to your dentist ASAP. 

It is possible that you have an allergy to the temporary material.  Another possibility is that the prepping of your teeth pushed a latent situation over the edge and you have an infection above the prepped tooth or teeth (somewhat like the straw that broke the camel's back).

Don't worry, it is fixable.

Martin Frankel, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Swelling after veneers

+1

Usually when you numb an upper lip is swell from the volume of novocaine you are injecting and slowly dissipates until it is completely gone.  You stated that it after the numbness went away.  It could be an allergic reaction to the temporary material.  I would call you dentist and get his opinion before going to the hospital.  Good luck

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist