How Swollen Am I Really After Smart Lipo?

I had my abs done on Thursday, three days ago, and feel extremely swollen. The only discoloration however, is in my pelvic area. My tummy is certainly a better shape than before the procedure, but just as large, firm to the touch, sore, and still somewhat numb. How long should I expect to be swollen and how much can I expect to shrink? Thanks in advance for any information!

Swelling with Smartlipo

+2

You will see the result immediately after Smartlipo, and then you will start to swell. Swelling is completely normal and will last at least a week; please wear the compression garment to help.

Smart Lipo will progress in stages

+2

At three days post op, there is still much of the water on board that was used during the actual procedure.

I generally tell our patients we trade - they give up fat cells, in exchange for water.

The water then goes away. Then the swelling  comes down.

Finally the collagen - tightening from the laser- starts to show up. Even at 6 months out there may still be some progress being made. 

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon