How Swollen Will I Be After Breast Augmentation?

I am a 20 year old college student and after the spring semester I plan on having both breast augmentation (smooth, round, saline under the muscle, inserted through nipple) and septo rhinoplasty (he will be breaking the bones). Two weeks later summer school starts and I'm wondering if I will look like a wreck when I go back to school with only a 2 week recovery.

Swelling after breast augmentation and rhinoplasty

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

At two weeks following a breast augmentation and rhinoplasty, you can expect a modest amount of breast swelling. The rhinoplasty swelling will be significant, but you will definitely be "presentable".  By and far, the biggest risk will be of bruising around the eyes, which is common following rhinoplasty surgery and especially if you are undergoing osteotomies (breaking nasal bones).  

If you are concerned about the swelling and bruising, I would take all precautionary steps to minimize the risks.  Abstain from taking aspirin, ibuprofen, and fish oil tabs, among others, for a period of two weeks prior to the surgery date.  Additionally, taking supplements such as Arnica Montana and Bromelain in the peri-operative period can help significantly with post-procedural swelling and bruising reduction. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Web reference: http://www.BeverlyHillsCosmeticSurgeon.com

+2

After two weeks you may still have some swelling after a breast augmentation but this should not prevent you from returning to school or work.  After a rhinoplasty some swelling is expected for a longer period of time and some people may have some residual bruising around their eyes after two weeks.  If bruising is still present, it should be minimal and easily covered with make up.  In addition to avoiding ibuprofen and aspirin,  some over-the-counter supplements such Arnica montana can help the bruising resolve faster.

Web reference: http://www.drhamawy.com/breast/augmentation-westchester-ny/

Breast Augmentation and rhinoplasty and swelling

+2

Following a breast augmentation and rhinoplasty, you should be able to go out in public in two weeks.  You may still have some slight swelling but most of the brusing should be resolving and can be well hidden with makeup.  Be careful though, it can take 6 weeks for the nasal boses to heal and be stable.  Avoid activities that could case your blood pressure to become elevated (sports, strenuous activies, etc) for at least 3 to 4 weeks. 

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and Rhinoplasty

+2

For most of my patients one week is enough time to go out in public although there may be a small bruise or two under the eyes still. So by two weeks you should be fine. To see the final result of course takes several months.

Just 2 Weeks to Look Good!

+2

The pressure is on!

Actually, your concerns are common in our practices.

You will probably look OK by 2 weeks post-op.  Perhaps the biggest risk might be black eyes after the rhinoplasty.

Be sure to cut out any medicines that can thin the blood and cause more bruising.  We recommend stopping aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamins and herbs at least 14 days before surgery to minimize bruises. Ask your surgeon about any and all medicines (including over-the-counter drugs) you might be taking.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com/denver-breast-augmentation-breast-implants

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation, Rhinoplasty and swelling

+1

By 2 weeks you should be doing well from breast augmentation with only mild swelling and tightness.  Nothing to interfere with school.  With the rhinoplasty sometimes bruising will occur that can take 2 weeks or more to go away.  However, makeup can easily cover up the bruising by 2 weeks and you should feel comfortable out in public.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Your breasts should look good by the time you return to school

+1

Your breasts should look good by the time you return to school.  The nose might be more of a problem with swelling and bruising. However with your clothing over your breasts (even if bruised) your new figure should show beautifully. 

Things to know... definitely more painful when placed under the muscle so you might want to avoid gym at beginnning of the semester....with clothes off your breast bruising still might be noticable for several weeks into school.

I have attached some of the details to expect with tips on healing at informational website.  Hope you find it helpful.

Chen Lee, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS , 

Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Will I be presentable two weeks after breast augmentation and rhinoplasty?

+1

Both your breasts and your nose will take time to recover after surgery.  Your breasts will be moderately swollen at two weeks but you can cover them, so most likely you will be fine from that standpoint.  Your rhinoplasty may present more of challenge because the swelling in a nose is more obvious and harder to hide.  Many people will be ok by two weeks but you may not.  I generally have my patients put Preparation H on the outside of the nose and that is very helpful in getting you closer to your final look.  However you should know that the final results from a rhinoplasty can not be judged fully at 2 weeks.  It takes about a year or more to reach that final result.  

Mini make-over recovery in two weeks.

+1

As far as the breasts go, you will not be able to participate in sports at two weeks but school should not be a problem.  Nose recovery is extremely variable.  You might have a small bruise to cover with make-up.  That is the best case scenario.  At worst, you might look as if you've been in a fight with darkened eyes.  Just prepare a good back-story.