Swollen Turbinate Following Rhinoplasty. How Long Does This Last?

Four weeks on from my rhinolasty, I am still unable to breathe through the left side of my nose and I suspect that this is due to a swollen inferior turbinate on that side. I was wondering for how long does swelling of the interior turbinate last?

Swollen turbinate after rhinoplasty

+1

Most of the intranasal swelling has resolved at one month.  Have your surgeon evaluate you to determine the cause of your nasal dyspnea.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

You should see your surgeon to address your nasal obstruction 1 month after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

You may be correct that your turbinates may be swollen and contributing to your nasal obstruction. This is fairly common, and you may be a candidate for an intra-turbinate injection of triamcinolone acetonide (Kenalog-40), for relief. Your rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to determine the cause of your nasal obstruction and render treatment.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1
I would go in for an intra nasal examination and see if you actually have Inferior turbinate swelling. Sometimes if the septum is not properly fixed during rhinoplasty surgery when the nose is thinned you may develop a breathing problem. I typically do septal work on most of my rhinoplasties for this reason. A nose needs to be aesthetically pleasing as well as functional. If you do have turbinate swelling then this will dissipate shortly. Again see your surgeon for an examination so you can set your mind at ease. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD