Swollen Tear Duct Resulting from Scleral Show After Blepharolasty

I am 7 weeks after upper and lower blepharoplasy. I developed scleral show right after the surgery, though not extreme. I am taping the eye, and it seems to me it is becoming better. But almost immediately after I take the tape off, my eye starts tearing. The tear duct is somewhat swollen. Should I refer to an ophthalmologist, to occuloplastic surgeon, or perhaps in a way it is "normal" and I should leave it alone in a hope that the tearing will subside? Anything I should/could do? Thank you

Tearing is a result of abnormal eyelid function

+2

Your photo is a bit blurry but the surface of the eye [conjunctiva] seems a bit swollen.

The taping of the eyelid is giving your it more support so that your blinking mechanism is more effective in "pumping" the tears into your tear duct.

Patients often misuse the term "tear duct". I doubt very much if your tear duct is in fact swollen, as it is within the nasal bone and not anywhere near the surgery plane.

What you are doing is okay. In addition, massaging the eyelid in an upward and lateral motion [similar to how the tape is holding the eyelid up] would help accelerate the softening of the scar [which is what is leading to the scleral show]

As you mentioned,with time, this will improve. Steroid injections may also help. I would hold off on any possible revision [not that you will need any] for at least 6 months after the surgery.

Good luck

Web reference: http://seattleface.com/html/dr_amadi.php

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is best assessed by an oculoplastic surgeon.

+2

In Washington DC, I recommend seeing Dr. Kevin Perman in Washington DC.  He is a highly respected oculoplastic surgeon who can assess how your eyelid is healing and also what is going on with the tearing issue.

+1

You may want to ask the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that did your Lower Eyelid Surgery for a referral to an ophthalmologist for evaluation of the tear duct and treatment of the lower lid malposition.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com