Swollen Puffy Red Watery Eyes After Rhinoplasty Normal?

Hi, I had a septorhinoplasty along with turbinectomy done 4 days ago. My eyes are not bruised at all but they are extremely puffy, swollen and watery. Overnight, one of my eyes also turned red. Is this normal or is this some type of allergic reaction?

+1

Dear Lilly,

Thank you for your question.  Any facial surgery close to the eyes can be irritating to the eyes.  Time will heal this.  Follow up with your plastic surgeon for assessment.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The symptoms you describe should be evaluated

+1

Thank you for the question.  Swollen and puffy eyelids after a rhinoplasty is not uncommon.  The redness in one of the eyes tells us that there may be an irritation of some sort that needs to be evaluated and treated.  I would start with your plastic surgeon and go from there.  Steroid drops, oral steroids, and the elimination of whatever may be causing the irritation are all good interventions.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD