Swollen 4 Months Post Labiaplasty?

Had Labiaplasty w excess prepuce removal approx 4 months ago. Only on my left side. Still experiencing swelling, discomfort, pain at times. It even feels almost turned on down there when it swells at times and the scar next to my hood definitely feels bothered. I am more swollen now than I was a week after surgery. Sex leaves me irritated for a long time. My doc says I'm a slow healer, but I am wondering if I shouldn't be more concerned. Looks fine, but I am more worried about feeling. TY!

Hypersensitivity after labiaplasty and clitoral hoodectomy

Hypersensitivity after labiaplasty and/or clitoral hoodectomy is common and can occur for one of two reasons.

1. the clitoris was over-exposed by aggressive hoodectomy. This does not appear to be the case based on the photo above, but if too much tissue is removed from the clitoral hood, this can reveal the clitoris and any kind of contact will stimulate this very sensitive tissue.

2. Scars are tender. It very well may be the case that your scar is involved with a small nerve ending that is irritated. Usually these nerve endings are very small and respond very well to physical massage. The massage basically slowly breaks down the scar tissue and can improve discomfort. While it may sound like strange medical advice, I would certainly advice massaging the scar area 3-4 times per day. This should help resolve the sensitivity around the scar.

In rare cases, doing a scar revision along a painful scar can be helpful. This is because (again very rarely) a neuroma has formed... basically a scar right on a nerve. This is very rare, but if your symptoms persist and can be traced to a very specific point on the scar, I would recommend a small revision of this area.  Make sure you continued to follow up with your doc.

Scar swelling after surgery

If your scar area is tender and swollen after surgery, you could have an ingrown hair, a cyst, or if it is just in the area of the scar, an infected scar due to either bacteria or fungal elements or both.  Treatment would depend on which one is most likely.

Susan Kolb, MD

Swollen 4 months after labiaplasty

It is quite difficult for me to see the scar. However, it appears that you have a scar along the medial aspects of the labia majora which occasionally may make the hair rotate inwards towards the more delicate labia minora. This can cause irritation during sex and normal activities. Have you tried waxing? Shaving may not sufficiently remove the irritating hair "stubble." If this works, a more permanent solution may be laser hair removal.

Swollen 4 months post Labiaplasty?

What you are probably experiencing at 4 months post surgery is some minor swelling and scar maturation. Between 2 and 4 months following surgery, your scar tissue can be at peak levels. This can make the area appear swollen and also itch or tingle. This should resolve over time. Massage and silicone based scar cream should help.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

See your surgeon

It is hard to tell just from the picture why you may have this recurring issue of swelling and pain.

It is not uncommon to have swelling after any surgery for up to 6 months to a whole year. Specifically in the genital area.

You may have a cyst or ingrown hair that cyclically gets irritated. Or it maybe a deeper structure or a suture that has not dissolved or a permanent suture that is superficial an is irritating the labia.

Try some sitz baths, warm compresses and avoid irritating the aggravated are.

If it does not improve then see your surgeon or a gynecologist.

Good luck!