Swollen over a Month After Cool Sculpting?

I had coolsculpting 2.5 months ago on my abdomen with two small applicators (on on each side of my belly button). It is my second application to this area in 4 months. The first month was great post-procedure but now I've developed a swollen spot where one of the applicators was placed. I'm scheduled to see my doctor but wondered if this is common and what could cause it.

Swelling after coolsculpting by Zeltiq

+1

This condition is very unusual. slight swelling can occur for the first few weeks in a generalized area but if yours is focal then you should see your doctor to evaluate any unrelated but exacerbated conditions.  If the swelling is adjacent to the umbilicus then a hernia needs to be ruled out. If it is tender, it might just be inflammation and spontaneously resolve or need medication to reduce the inflammation. Recently there have been rare cases reported of delayed enlargement of the areas several months after the procedure and that might be related to what you're experiencing.

Swelling after CoolSculpting

+1
Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after CoolSculpting, though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling, and numbness. Numbness can persist up to several weeks after a procedure. Swelling normally does not last more than a month. It is good that you scheduled an appointment to see your doctor, so that he or she can determine the cause of the swelling. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Post Coolsculpting Swelling

+1

This is not a common finding as you are doing I would suggest you follow up with your surgeon to discuss this. There are few potential causes for this observation.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Coolsculpting

+1

An excellent physical exam, perhaps combined with an ultrasound, is an excellent follow up to any complication. 

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Swollen after Coolsculpting

+1

There are many things that may be going on so I am glad that you are going in to see your doctor. A physical examination is the best way to know what is causing this swelling.