Swollen Lymph Nodes Immediately After Surgery Are Normal?

I've had a BIRADS4 lesion (5mm) showed on MRI, was told ir was not aggressive (type 2 curve) and probably benign. 3 weeks later I've had nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (12 days ago). Today I notice a swollen node in my right armpit, ~1cm, soft, rubbery, painless. I noticed 1 in my left armpit too, more mobile. Is it normal to have swollen nodes in the armpit after this surgery? Or can this be caused by the 5mm non-aggressive lesion that I had, if that were cancer?

Lymph Node after Breast Reconstruction?

+1

Although the existence of a lymph node after surgery would not be too surprising, you will be much better off addressing these concerns/questions with your physicians as opposed to online consultants.

Your own doctors will be in a much better position to provide a diagnosis, suggest treatment, and/or provide  meaningful reassurance to you.

Best wishes for long-term outcomes that you are very pleased with.

Questions after breast reconstruction

+1

Swollen lymph nodes are extremely common after surgery, reconstructive or cosmetic. Also, BIRADS refers to the appearance of a lesion on mammogram. What is important at this point is your pathology report. You should be able to get that from your doctor by this point.

Andrew Rosenthal, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon