Swollen Lips 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty, Should I be Worried?

My rhinoplasty op involved breaking and removing anterior nasal spine, de-humping and filing down my nose, as well as breaking/re-setting the bone and removing cartilage from near anterior nasal spine, as well as cartilage from the sides of my nose and tip. My doc did not cut my depressor-septi muscle. I can smile ok ish if a bit stiff. However my upper lip is still swollen 5 weeks post-op. Is this ok or should I be worried?

Lip swelling post-op

+2

Removing the nasal spine can cause more lip swelling than is typical - be patient and follow up with your surgeon

Post op Lip Swelling

+1

I think this could all still be normal. You describe a significant rhinoplasty with lots of work around the anterior septum and nasal spine. All this could lead to significant lip swelling if there was some bleeding and you apparently have normal lip movement. Give it another few weels and then point it out to your surgeon.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

As a general rule of thumb, I tell my patients to expect swelling for up to 6-8 weeks following surgery. It is difficult to assess your situation without viewing photos of you before and after your procedure.  I would advise you to consult with your surgeon if you are concerned.  Best of Luck,  Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Lip Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Before and after photographs would be very helpful to assess the degree of residual swelling.  That being said, based on everything that was done during your rhinoplasty it would not be unusual to have upper lip swelling at five weeks.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon