Swollen Lips After Radiesse, Perlane, and Botox Injections

I had Radiesse, Perlane, and Botox injection three days ago. My lips are now swelling, and I've started taking steroid medication. Will it help me, and will the swelling eventually resolve?

Swelling from injections can last several days

+2

At three days, you are just experiencing the early decrease from the peak of swelling(usually at 2 days) . Oral corticosteroids decrease inflammation and may help somewhat with the swelling, but are not used routinely for injections, whereas they are often used as a preventative measure in cosmetic surgery.

Contined use of ice may help. Your swelling should be starting to resolve. If not, you may be experiencing a reaction such as an infection and you should follow up with your physician.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Bruising after Botox and fillers is not unusual

+2

The face is prone to bruising and swelling. At three days, it is not unusual to experience swelling following botox and soft tissue filler injections. Obviously, your physician must have prescribed the “steroid” medication which will assist in reducing the swelling. I would continue to avoid any strenuous exercising, lifting, pushing, or pulling activities and continue to ice the areas treated. It is very important that you continue your follow-up care with your physician.

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after injections

+1
Swelling, redness, discomfort and bruising is common during the first few days following an injection treatment. Most of this settles down within 3 days. Occasionally, the swelling can last up to one week. I would avoid taking any medication and wait for a week or so. If the swelling persists after that, please see your injector. 

In the meantime, you can use cool, soft, flexible ice packs (or small packs of frozen peas) to keep the swelling down. Place the ice pack on the treated area(s) for 15-20 minutes at a time, 3 or 4 times per day. Keep your head elevated and use several pillows at night to help diminish the swelling. All the best.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Treatment for Lip Swelling following injections

+1

Steroids are not recommended for post surgical swelling for many reasons including side effects of this medication. Swelling and bruising to a varying degree is expected. Here are some tips to make it go away faster -

Minimizing Lip Swelling after Lip Augmentation - sounds like you are doing much of the below recommendations
Continued head elevation - sleep in recliner chair for up to the first week
Icing - not directly on skin, 20 min on then 20 min off if comfortable for the first 3 days
Low Salt diet
No heavy lifting, bending over or intense exercise                                                             Bromelain and/or Arnica                                                                                             Camouflage make up/ lipstick

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Lip Augmentation Swelling can last for Two Weeks.

+1

The swelling from lip augmentation can last up to 2 weeks, but can be minimized by proper injection technique, an epinephrine containing block and local ice therapy. It sounds like you got a lot done with the three injectables you noted. Try ice every 4 hours to the lips for 15 minutes at a time which can decrease the swelling significantly in the first couple of days. I hope the this helps.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Swelling Can Take A Week Or Two To Resolve

+1

Swelling after injections in the lips is normal. This can take even a week or two to resolve. As Dr. Lupo mentioned, I hope that the Radiesse was not placed in your lips as this is probably less than optimal. A better choice would have been one of the hyaluronic acid fillers in the lips. In either event, even if this is not swelling, fortunately it will wear off over time.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling after injection

+1

Lip augmentation with the use of dermal fillers is a very popular and effective technique. Patients who received a filler in this area should expect a small amount of bruising and swelling. This typically lasts for 1 to 2 days. It is best to apply a cool compress and keep it elevated to allow for quick resolution of this swelling.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Difficult to answer

+1

It is common to have some swelling after Radiesse and Perlane injections. However, it is not really accepted treatment to use Radiesse in the lips. Most patients have noticed nodularity (lumps) after Radiesse is implanted in the lips. Hyaluronic acids like Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm are ok to use in the lips.

Before we can fully answer your question, it would be good to know whether all three (Radiesse, Perlane, and Botox) were injected in the lips. In addition, was that the first time you had the procedure done? If all products were injected, then it is not surprising that you are swollen. Most physicians would not use that combination. Comment on your question and give us some more detail. Thanks.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Swelling lips usually resolves over time

+1

Delayed swelling 3 days later is a little unusual. Steroids usually help with swelling, and swelling usually resolves over time. Talk more to your doctor about your swelling to make sure you get good results, and you recover safely.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Swelling from lip fillers may stay for several days

+1

The lips are a very sensitive area when fillers are performed. They may stay swollen for several days. Give it time and be patient. Steroids may help but I don't usually prescribe them.