Seriously Swollen or Fluid or Dog Ears? (photo)

i had a full tummy tuck 18 days ago.No lipo doctor said i didnt need it im very unhappy about my results.ive posted on here before just kinda seeing what others thinks intill i go back jan for my next appointment.What can fix it ? An if i have to have a extend tummy tuck will i have to repay for the whole thing all over again?.My whole purpose to get this was to get a smaller waist an remove the saggy skin.i Cant even get into my jeans my upper thighs are so swollen as well :(

What do you think of my tummy tuck? (photos)

+5
You have a feminine shape, a flat abdomen, and your closure is symmetric and well placed. You have no skin necrosis, hematoma, seroma, infection, or wound dehiscence. Please thank your surgeon for doing an outstanding job, be patient for 6-12 months until you see your final result, and ask your (excellent) surgeon at that time if there are any areas you wish to improve upon.

Dog ears vs. excess skin

+2

Thank you for your question and photograph. It is still fairly early after your surgery and it is a little hard to tell from the picture, however, I suspect that you still have some swelling to account for the bulge, but it is certainly possible that there is still some excess skin.  I would wait for another three to four months then, if it is still present, talk with your surgeon if they can be removed. It would be a much smaller procedure than your original surgery, with much less recovery and your surgeon may charge you very little. Overall it looks like you are going to have a nice result and hopefully you will be happy when the rest of the swelling is gone.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results?

+2

Although you are still early after your tummy tuck surgery, it very well may be that an extension of the tummy tuck may be necessary to achieve your desired results. I would suggest that you wait as  close to a year as possible to evaluate the results of surgery.  At that point discuss your questions and concerns with your plastic surgeon. 

In regards to additional charges for additional surgery,  this will be surgeon specific.  Keep in mind, that most plastic surgeons wish to keep their patients as happy as possible ( it is likely that he/she will work with you to achieve your desired results).

You are swollen....give it time

+2

You are only 18 days after your tummy tuck. You are still swollen.  There may be some "dog ears" but these will get smaller as you heal more. You need to be more patient with the process. I tell my patients that they willnot be "happy" until 1 month, and will keep getting better each month. It can take 6-9 months to really see how good you will get. Sometimes small revisions are needed. Every doctor's revision policy is different (whetehr or not they will charge you) and this is something that should have been discussed and explained to you before the surgery. My personal revision policy is clearly written in all my pre-operative paperwoek so that there is no confusion if the situation arises.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Waiting to see the final results of your tummy tuck surgery

+2

Your pictures show a nice result:  flat belly, low scar, nice belly button scar.  You do have fullness on your sides.  Will this go away?  It will certainly improve since you're still only 18 days after surgery.  I ask my patients to wait for 3 months to see the final results.  Once all the swelling goes away, your wounds (not just the line scar that you see) undergo healing and contraction and your body contour will change.  Whether or not you will be satisfied after all this is difficult to predict.  In the worst case scenario, if you are still unhappy with the size/shape of your sides, you can undergo liposuction to reshape that area.  Whether or not this is something your surgeon will do for you free of charge or for a minimal charge depends on your surgeon's policies.  There is no set rule for this.  Some will do free touch-ups, some will not charge you a surgical fee but you will still pay for the facility/anesthesia, and some will treat it as a completely new procedure and charge you a full amount.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Too early to tell....

+1

At 18 days you are jumping the gun a bit. I would wait until thing settle in 3-6 months and then re-evaluate where you are and where you might like to be. I do tummy tucks without lipo all the time, so that alone is not the issue.

Plastic surgery is a judgment call. As things heal and mature you will be able to see better how your surgeon's judgment and your healing abilities have come together.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Concern about tummy tuck results less than 3 weeks postoperative

+1

You are less than 3 weeks after a tummy tuck which is still very early in the healing process. There will be a lot of swelling which may even increase more before subsiding. You need to be very patient - give this anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Though the resolution of the photos is low, the result generally seems very good. Your mons pubis is swollen. Whether or not reshaping was performed here can't be ascertained without further information.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Still early after tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for the picture. You are still early after your surgery and are probably still swollen.  Is your plastic surgeon having you wear any compression garments? Do not contemplate any revision surgery for at least six months.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Results 18 Days After a Tummy Tuck

+1

At this point, it is still too early to judge the results as swelling is present. It is better to wait at least 3 months and see how things look. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Post op concerns

+1

i would love to see your preop pictures because you look great for less than 3 weeks.  give it time . relax.lots of patients cannot get into their clothes for a while after tummy tuck.  it used to make me nervous when i started 20 years ago.  i dont do revisional work for six months after surgery.   the prices for revisions vary fro person to person  good luck

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon