Swollen Flanks / Newly Acquired Muffin Top 1 Year After Full Tummy Tuck

Im 5'6 130 pounds. I needed a tt to get rid of the extra skin from kids. Now my stomach/flanks appear larger than before.My right side has a dog ear but I have swelling on both. I can not fit in any of my jeans and I have not gained weight. At times my stomach and belly button are swole. If I wear a girdle throughout the day, my belly button looks smaller but within a few hrs it looks big again.Before tt my waist,was at a 31.Its now 35. What is causing this muffin top/swelling 1yr post op?

Muffin top treatment

+3

Congratulations on what you've accomplished and thank you for the question.
Treatment of the stubborn muffin top involves excision (lipectomy) of excess skin and adipose tissue. Liposuction  surgery alone  will potentially leave you with loose skin and an  unsatisfactory result.
Although not relevant in your case, patients who are undergoing a standard tummy tuck procedure  should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.
Make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Results after tummy tuck

+2

It would be nice to see if your before and after photos.  However, in their absence I can see the areas of you concern.  Do you know if you had liposuction at the time of your abdominoplasty?  I feel that it is essential to contour the abdomen and flanks with liposuction at the same time as a tummy tuck.  If you did not then you could consider it.  Go and discuss this with your PS and explore your choices.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Changes after Tummy Tuck / Abdominoplasty

+2

It would be best if you could post before and after pictures.  Also, you do not give any information about weight gain from before, after and a year after your surgery.  One of the most common reasons for changes after plastic surgery is weight gain.  Plastic surgery does not prevent you from gaining weight.  In fact, many patients are so happy and impressed with how easy their procedure was that they go back to their bad habits of over eating and lack of exercise after surgery with the expectation that they can always have another surgery.  I am not sure if that is the case in your situation.  At this point, you may benefit from aggressive liposuction of your anterior abdomen and flanks to help improve your contour.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD