Swollen Bags After Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty

I am 39 years old. I had a lower eyelid Blepharoplasty done 2 weeks ago. My tear troughs were apparent and also the bags above. Im only two weeks into this, but it appears that I have new swelling bags on the area on each side under the tear troughs. Should I be concerned? My second consultation is scheduled in five weeks.

No, you shouldn't be concerned

+3

It definitely takes longer than 2 weeks, probably more like 6 weeks. However, in more extreme cases (those with festoons) the swelling can last up to 3 months before all of the swelling resolves. It's very common for patients to be doing well at 4-6 weeks, and then one morning they wake up and have a lot more swelling for no apparent reason. This will resolve with time as well.

Akron Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty two weeks out

+2

I would not be concerned at this point. Two weeks out is a very short period of time after eyelid surgery. I would give it a good 2-3 months to see how things end up. most likely that this will go away.

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Malar bags possible complication of lower blepharoplasty.

+2

Hi.

Be optimistic and see you plastic surgeon now for reassurance.  It is very early after your lower blepharoplasty, and things will change a lot over the next three months.  It is possible you have a problem, but much too early to worry.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wait and see

+2

Since it has only been two weeks since your lower blepharoplasty, it is impossible to tell anything at this point. The eyelids are still swollen. The bags from where the surgery is performed and the malar cheek pad area are both swollen and bruised at this point. A person should wait at least two to three months to determine whether or not there are any further residual fat bags in the lower lids before contemplating revision eyelid surgery.

Still Healing after Blepharoplasty

+2

At two weeks it is too early to tell what the source of the swelling is due to so it is most likely due to your recent surgery.  Frequently the lower eyelid continues to resolve swelling and post operative changes for up to one year.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are recent post op.

+2

No need to get worried for now. You are fairly recently post-op and there is most likely residual swelling and the tissues have not settled. It usually takes several weeks to months for the swelling to completely resolve after blepharoplasty. That is why your appointment is five weeks away. However, if you have any concerns, then you should see your surgeon sooner. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Concerned, not worried.

+2

Some swelling is going to persist for weeks after the bleph. I can' t tell if yours is a little more than usual, or about what is expected.

As a surgeon, I always want to hear from my patients when they have a concern. Going on that, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your doctor. One thing that he may recommend is massage. Don't try to figure this out on your own, follow his instructions.

Never be shy about communicating with your doctor, it is your right, and is the path to a great outcome.

scottkinfw@msn.com

www.drkasden.us

Scott E. Kasden, MD

At two weeks this is likely just swelling. If after six wks bags persist they may be festoons

+2

At two weeks swelling beneath the lower eyelids is likely post operative edema or swelling and should go away.

If you hjad noticeable swelling or bags on the cheek bones beneath the lower eyelids you may have festoons or bags beneath the lower eyelid bags.

Festoons often appear worse after a blepharoplasty removes the puffiness of the lower eyelids.

Festoons are very difficult to correct and may require a lateral upper cheek lift through a lateral skin muscle lift through an extension of the lower eyelid blepharoplasty incision out on e outside corner of the lower eyelid.

Your'e doctor shou;ld be able to sort tis out by your 5 week visit. In the meantime, just massage the areas that look swollen and hopefully they will go down.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

You need time to heal after Blepharoplasty

+2

Dear Kjeans,

Two weeks after a lower eyelid surgery is not very much time. It is completely expected that at this time frame you will have residual swelling in the lower eyelids and at the top of the cheek. This could account for the fullness you are describing. It may be that with enough time, this will resolve.

How long should you wait? Typically, we tell patients that the most obvious swelling will settle in about 6 to 8 weeks. However, there are always exceptions to every rule. You should not be concerned about this swelling at this time frame. The issue should be much better possibly resolved by the time of your next visit. Remember it is very hard to be patient while the body heals.

If your swelling persists after this time frame, consider recontacting the Realself community and include before and after photos.

Malar festoons after lower eyelid surgery

+1

This area under the original lower eyelid fullness is a malar festoon.  This is due purely to swelling after surgery.  Gentle massage should help.  More than likely they will gradually improve over the next several months.