Swollen Cheeks 38 Days After Rhinoplasty (w/Osteotomy, Turbinate Reduction and Septoplasty)

My face (not just nose) is still swollen 38 days after rhinoplasty. I haven't heard of this happening so long after surgery, though I did swell a lot after surgery and maybe it takes time to heal. I called my doctor and she said facial swelling can last up to 3 months. Have you heard of other cases like this or know of a solution? I also bruised badly after surgery, and now there are still light brown marks on my cheekbones. Will these stains remain? Thanks for answering!

Recovery aft Rhinoplasty & Septoplasty

+3

It is not uncommon to have significant para-nasal or facial swelling for at least 6 weeks after a rhinoplasty. Anti-inflammatory medications such as Motrin and nasal decongestants do help to facilitate your recovery.

Facial Swelling 38 Days after Rhinoplasty

+2

The key to answering your question is the severity of your swelling, which you don't describe. Some swelling can be present 38 days after surgery. The stains are residual blood products which are present as the bruising resolves - this is usually temporary.

Facial Swelling 38 Days After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Miami,

If you entire face is swollen 5 1/2 weeks after rhinoplasty, you should return to your rhinoplasty surgeon asap to rule out an infectious process.  Let your rhinoplasty surgeon determine whether you have "normal" swelling at this point, not physicians here on RealSelf.  It is not normal in any sense to have full facial swelling this long after rhinoplasty.  I have not heard of it during my 25 years of experience with rhinoplasty.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty and swelling

+2

Swelling after a rhinoplasty will take about a year to resolve.  Cheek swelling will probably recover fairly soon for you. Usually that is not a problem it is a bit unusual for it to last this long.

+2

The magnitude of the surgery dictates the  extent of the swelling.

Be patient ,you can help reduce the swelling with some of the known homeppathic measures such as Arnica Montana and/or Bromelain.

Erel Laufer, MD

Excessive Cheek Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+2

Swelling after rhinoplasty can last a very long time - sometimes up to 18 months.  Bruising can last a long time as well.  The blood from the bruises can get broken down into a product called hemosiderin which can actually "stain" the tissues.  This eventually goes away, but it can take several months for the body to break it down.  Hang in there.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon