Swollen Breast Implants After Kidney Surgery?

I just had kidney surgery. Three days post op I awoke in pain and there was swelling in my right breast. I've had Silicone Implants for fifteen years and with no problems. Now my right breast is swollen and uncomfortable.

More information needed

+1

As other doctors have said, more information is needed which could be obtained under the guidance of a plastic surgeon.

Signs of an infection include

• Redness
  • Tenderness
  • Swelling
  • An elevated temperature

Lab work could help further. If there is no sign of infection, an ultrasound can see if it is soft tissue swelling or a fluid collection. The bottom line is to see your plastic surgeon for a proper evaluation.

Dr Edwards

Call a plastic surgeon for an evaluation

+1

Kidney incisions may interfere with the drainage for the lymphatic system along the chest wall and is most likely responsible for your findings. However, there are many other possibilities and you should have these investigated by a physcian.

This work up may include blood work, cultures, and/or an MRI to evaluated implant integrity of lack of such.

Schedule an appointment with a plastic surgeon at your earliest convenience.

The most likely answer is an infection

+1

Sometimes when people have kidney or dental surgery there can be a transient flush of bacteria into the bloodstream that can then seed the implant pocket and cause an infection.  You should see your breast surgeon as soon as possible to get this worked out.

Dr. T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

See your plastic surgeon

+1

There are many reasons for kidney surgery.  given that I don't have all the facts, and no exam, I would get in to the plastic surgeon's office quickly to be sure that you don't have an infection starting.  This would be very bad in light of your recent surgery.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD