My incision is still very swollen after my Tummy Tuck. What do you think? (photos)

It will be 4 weeks 1/17/13 since I had my tummy tuck surgery and should I be this swollen? Please render an opinion about my incision, it don't look good.....I see pink flesh. I do have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow......Help.

Tummy tuck

+2

Pain, pulling, and tugging along the incision quite common after tummy tuck surgery. The discomfort can get worse a few weeks after surgery as some of the nerves start to wake up and work again. Pain can also increase because at three weeks out patients start to get more active once again.

Sometimes the pain is caused by tugging of a stitch that will eventually dissolve, sometimes it can be caused by scar tissue. Generally these aches and pains and zings will come and go for a few months after surgery, but usually they resolve.

You may feel more comfortable if you speak to your plastic surgeon directly. He or she should be the one to recommend medication to you.

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+2
Noticeable swelling in the area just above the incision is typical in any tummy tuck.  It will resolve in time.  The only other question is whether there might be a fluid collection (seroma) which might need to be drained.  Photos cannot tell us that, but your doctor can tell when you see him.

William A. Terranova, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

I still have swelling following a TT and the scar look bad.

+1
At 4 weeks, you do seem to have a little more swelling than usual. You may have a fluid collection called a seroma. Your doctor can determine this. The scar doesn't look that bad in your photos, but an in-person examination by your PS again should be your first move. It does take 6 months or more for both swelling and scard to look their best, and actually a years isn't unusual for the scar.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

My incision is still very swollen after my Tummy Tuck. What do you think?

+1

Based upon the posted series of photos you either had a very very conservative excision or a large seroma/hematoma is present! Seek immediate examination...

Recovery

+1
Than you for the pictures.

Swelling, pain and discomfort are to be expected after surgery. Normally, the total recovery can take up to 18 weeks for you to see the ending results. I suggest lymphatic massages to help with the swelling, also do not stop wearing your garment.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

SURGERY SUCCESS

+1
Hello, surgery success will depend on your relationship with your plastic surgeon, remember he is the expert. any question call requests and go to your appointments. remember after surgery take time to leave the swollen

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD