Am I Swollen or Not? 6weeks and Few Days Post Op (photo)

My plastic surgeon says that I may need more surgery. I hope I'm just swollen. I am 6weeks and a couple of days post op. Upper abs and left side bigger than my left side. Please give me you opinion on this. He gave me steroid injections today to see if that works. I don't know what to do... :(

Loose skin after an abdominoplasty

+2

It is difficult to predict at this point if you will need additional surgery. Your skin does look a bit loose.  A pre-op photo would be helpful.  

Am I Swollen or Not? 6weeks and Few Days Post Op

+2

It is very difficult in some patients to know if they will need further surgery just by looking at pictures (without an exam). All patients will be swollen for 4-6 months so I would wait until that time and re evaluate your results. You may have some extra fat and that can be addressed at that time.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Abominal Swelling

+2

It would have been helpfull to have seen a pre-op photo. Was liposuction performed? Considering that and the fact that your surgeon has already suggested a touch up procedure, might mean that all is not swelling. I would however strongly recommeng waiting at least 3-4 months for the swelling to settle before undergoing any further procedures.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

There is still significant swelling six weeks after in abdominoplasty.

+2

Whether or not you'll end up for you want remains to be seen. However it six weeks there still sizable amount of swelling so thing should look better than they do now this time passes.

Swoolen after surgery

+2

Since you are only six weeks from surgery, you will still have some swelling. I usually wait at least 3 months before considering any revision to let all the tissue swelling subside.  I would be careful of exercising, especially abdominal work, and consider wearing your binder a while longer.  Give it some time to heal.  Good luck to you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1

A few issues are being presented here. I assume you had a full TT? Posting before photos ALWAYS allows a comparison to result outcomes. You have visceral fat, diastasis recti, excessive adipose. Even in a perfect world your result would be limited to the amount of fat and excess skin needed to be removed. Realistic expectations are paramount in these cases. Best to have a detailed meeting with your surgeon to understand the whole process. 

Still swollen

+1

Hi ShayB.  Swelling takes 3-6 months to resolve after a tummy tuck.  Hopefully after the swelling resolves you will be pleased with your results, and not need any additional surgery.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Am I Swollen or Not? 6 weeks and Few Days Post Op

+1

Although there is likely still swelling at six weeks, I don't think its resolution will correct what I am seeing in the photos. At any rate, I would hold off on any decision until all swelling has resolved--3 to 6 months after surgery. You will probably need to consider options on dealing with some extra skin in the mid abdomen, and fat at and beyond the ends of the incision. 

All the best.