Switching from Lyra to Alexandrite?

31 y.o female (type 4), Indian origin, no medical conditions. At 1st session, first session, technician used Lyra (supposedly at type 6 settings) and I had blisters and hyperpigmentation (on an existing hyperpigmented upper lip and chin). Consequently, dermatologist examined my skin and now plans to switch to 'Candela GentleLase' and didn't explain why. Is this switch recommended? Cursory glance at reviews of Gentlelase doesn't bode well for people with my skin type.

Switching from Lyra to Alexandrite?

+2

I am personally not a fan of either laser, and with type 4 skin, one must always show caution and perhaps do a test spot before initiating treatment.

Its important to realize that the alexandrite laser still "gets absorbed by your natural pigment which creates heat and could blister you further.

I would suggest a diode or long pulsed nd yag used by someone with physician supervision and experience treating darker skin.

Peter

Web reference: http://www.mytotalskincare.com

Dallas Dermatologist

Which Laser for East Indian Skin Type Hair Removal

+2

Hi Induramuz.  We would likely not use either one of those machines.  The yag (Lyra) is the safer of the two for laser hair removal.  The Alexandrite, while a great machine for lighter skin types, does carry a higher risk for you than the Lyra.

We would actually use the Lumenis Lightsheer, which we do for most type IV skin.

Ultimately, the problem regarding blisters is the person doing the treatment.  Regardless of the technology being used, a good laser nurse will be able to see the problem very shortly after it occurs and stop or adjust the settings.  We would consider looking for another practice if the only alternative for you is the Alexandrite laser.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/laserHairRemovalBeforeAfterPicturesPhotos.aspx

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.