Is It Okay To Go Swimming in the Ocean 5.5 Weeks Post BA And A String From the Stitch is Visible?

I had breast augmentation 5 1/2 weeks ago and the incision looks perfectly closed but at the end of the incision I can feel a tiny piece of thread. Is it safe for me to go swimming in the ocean?

Is it ok to go swimming in the ocean 5.5 weeks post-BA and a string from the stitch is visible?

Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things.  The string is likely just the suture end purposely left out, which should fall off by itself. 

However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Swim in ocean after breast aug

Swimming in oceans at 5 weeks should be fine. An exposed suture is likely a partially dissolved suture. See your plastic surgeon to have it removed. As pitting suture in not uncommon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

27716 Cashford Cir
Wesley Chapel, FL 33544

Swimming 5 weeks after breast augmentation

Yes it should be fine to go swimming 5 weeks after your breast augmentation.  The suture you mention is also likely not an issue since it is most likely near the skin and the implant is far deeper than that.  However, exposed sutures are not the norm at 5 weeks and you should have your plastic surgeon take a look at it and address it.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Swimming Safe after 6 weeks following Breast Augmentation

Swimming is  safe  in the ocean after 6 wks following Breast Augmentation if stitches are all gone. Because one is exposed - have your doctor remove it as it shouldn't be there anyway. Then wait a few days - it will be 6 weeks by then and have fun !

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Swimming after Breast Augmentation?

Yes, swimming should be just fine at this stage,  assuming your course has been uncomplicated. See your plastic surgeon prior to doing so (to address the visible suture if necessary).

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Swimming at 5 1/2 wks after surgery

It usually is OK to swim at 5 1/2 wks after breast surgery provided everything has healed, but I would check with your doctor first.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Swimming After Breast Augmentation

Swimming 5 1/2 weeks after breast augmentation is typically quite safe.  However, if there is a visible suture along one of the incisions, then I would recommend following up with your surgeon to have the scar evaluated and suture clipped prior to getting into the ocean.  This is typically not indicative of a significant problem, especially since the wound has been healing well, but it is always a good idea to check back with your surgeon when there are sutures visible following cosmetic surgery.

Jeffrey Ridha, MD
Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgeon

83 Railroad Place
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Swimming after Breast Augmentation

I typically instruct my breast augmentation patients to avoid soaking in water for 4 weeks after surgery.  This allows the incision adequate time to fully heal.  If you have a visible stitch, this could possibly indicate a small area of wound separation, although it is more likely that your body is healing and moving toward dissolving and expelling the deep, absorbable stitches.  The safest advice is to see your plastic surgeon so that he/she can examine your incision and advise you whether you are safe to soak in the ocean.

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

5050 NE Hoyt Street
Portland, OR 97213

Swimming after breast augmentation

See your plastic surgeon before hitting the waves to verify that what you are seeing is an exposed suture and to have ti snipped. If your plastic surgeon approves, then swimming should be fine.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Swimming after Breast Augmentation

In most cases going swimming 5 weeks after surgery would be okay.  However, you would have to check with your surgeon to get their recommendations.  Additionally if you have exposed sutures, you need to follow up with your surgeon to have them removed.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022