Swelling: Scar Tissue or Deformity?

Hi there, 13 days after a septorhinoplasty to correct a deviated septum/enlarged turbinate plus tip reduction, osteotomy, upper bridge shaved down and alar reduction(intensive!). Noticed swelling in left nostril which is pushing nose to right, tender indicating tissue rather than polyp-like.

Nurse told me it's normal swelling and will decrease! Also my nose swelled lots more after taking the cast off, normal? Is this mostly swelling or otherwise? Aware that this is only for ideas, not definitive

Swelling: Scar Tissue or Deformity?

+2

You had extensive nose surgery and should have significant nasal swelling. However, your presentation is not normal. It  APPEARS as if the incision inside the left nose through which the surgeon operated on the tip cartilage had separated. I would urge you to be seen by the surgeon, not an intermediary, and have him look inside the left nostril.

Swelling can be significant after aggressive rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I agree that your plastic surgeon should evaluate you in the early post-operative period to make sure all is healing as he/she expects.  The more work that is done the more swelling should be expected.  Touch base with your plastic surgeon at your next follow up to make sure all is well from his/her standards.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Early swelling after a rhinoplasty

+1

It is more likely to be swelling at this early point than scar tissue.  It is not uncommon to have some degree of swelling to the tip of the nose for the first 12 months after surgery.  Some individuals are more prone the this condition including those with thicker nasal skin.  Gentle massage may be of some benefit.