Swelling: Scar Tissue or Deformity?

Hi there, 13 days after a septorhinoplasty to correct a deviated septum/enlarged turbinate plus tip reduction, osteotomy, upper bridge shaved down and alar reduction(intensive!). Noticed swelling in left nostril which is pushing nose to right, tender indicating tissue rather than polyp-like.

Nurse told me it's normal swelling and will decrease! Also my nose swelled lots more after taking the cast off, normal? Is this mostly swelling or otherwise? Aware that this is only for ideas, not definitive

Swelling: Scar Tissue or Deformity?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You had extensive nose surgery and should have significant nasal swelling. However, your presentation is not normal. It  APPEARS as if the incision inside the left nose through which the surgeon operated on the tip cartilage had separated. I would urge you to be seen by the surgeon, not an intermediary, and have him look inside the left nostril.

Swelling after sept-rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question!

It is understandable that you are concerned. Changes after rhinoplasties vary with every patient and what you are experiencing is normal especially that swelling takes time to subside as it masks the results of your surgery.

With the pictures posted, the lack of surgical details and the inability to perform a physical exam it is not possible to provide you with a definitive medical answer.

It is important to keep in mind that it is early to pass a judgment. Usually, a year is required before formulating how your nose will be. Even then, your nose will keep shaping itself and to complement your face for better results in the years to come.

My best recommendations at the moment is to be patient, allow nature to take its course and edema subsides for better results. There is no doubt that once the swelling resolves, more definition and shape will be achieved and you should be happier with the results.

Also, it is important that you keep communicating with your surgeon and work as a team together to achieve the best results possible.

Congratulations on your surgery and please remain positive!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Swelling can be significant after aggressive rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and the photos.  I agree that your plastic surgeon should evaluate you in the early post-operative period to make sure all is healing as he/she expects.  The more work that is done the more swelling should be expected.  Touch base with your plastic surgeon at your next follow up to make sure all is well from his/her standards.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Early swelling after a rhinoplasty

It is more likely to be swelling at this early point than scar tissue.  It is not uncommon to have some degree of swelling to the tip of the nose for the first 12 months after surgery.  Some individuals are more prone the this condition including those with thicker nasal skin.  Gentle massage may be of some benefit.