Is This Swelling, A Missed Area, or "Final" Result? (photo)

I'm 2 mos from abdominal VASER under G.A. 700 cc were removed. I'm 5'7 & 155 lbs. I asked my doc this week if the flab (see pic) pinched is swelling or fat, and she said there shouldn't be much swelling @ 2 mos & said it was excess skin from kids & sticks out from stretched diastasis. It seems like fat to me. I also have a dimpled area under my BB in which she said might smooth out. My pre/post measurements are: waist 33/33, BB 35/35, pooch 38/36. Is there any hope for better results?

Vaser liposuction

+2

Overall you have a nice result at two months. It may improve further.

Should "extra skin" and "bulging of your belly" (diastasis of you abdominal muscles) be an issue you may need to consider abdominoplasty / tummy tuck. Liposuction only addresses  fat tissue!

Two months after surgery is a good time to assess and discuss your result with your surgeon and to inquire about possible options if desired or needed.

Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Concern regarding abdomen following Vaser liposuction

+2

At two months there still will be swelling from the liposuction. Most of it will dissipate by 6 months at which time you will have a clearer idea of your situation. Grossly from your photos, you still may have a significant amount of fat still present. If so, then additional liposuction may provide you with further improvement though the skin laxity will not be helped by this. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Excess skin post liposuction

+2

Hi there

At 2 months there will be a little swelling left, but the skin is what it is.  You are close to but not quite at a final result. Fat removal does not tighten skin regardless of the method used.

I suggest exercise and be patient, and at 6 months post treatment re assess yourself as you will have your final result at that time for sure. You will need to be the judge as to whether the improvement you have experienced from the treatment is sufficient for your needs.

Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Swelling or missed Fat

+1

Typically I tell my patients that the majority of edema is gone by 8 weeks after the surgery. That is not all of the edema, but about 70 %. It takes up to 6 months for all the macroscopic swelling to be resolved and up to a year for all of the microscopic swelling to be resolved. I typically wait till after 4-6 months to determine if a touch-up procedure is needed. Based on your photos I think there is more fat that can be removed, as I am extremely aggressive and like to sculpt out the abdominal area. You need to wait till all of the scar tissue has resolved before you re-operate or it will be extremely difficult to remove the fat. You may want to try some noninvasive treatments to remove fat as it may get you the result you need without having to do further surgery.

Jeffrey LaGrasso, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Vaser Liposuction

+1

You should wait until 6 months for a more critical assessment.  If you have a diastasis, only a TT will address that.  Otherwise, you will have a bulge, and this is just a loose muscle, not fat.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Final results?!

+1

Oftentimes 2 months is too early to know what your final result will be.  The dimple under your belly button is probably a contour abnormality that you already had there to some extent, but made much more noticeable with liposuction or Vaser.  This problem is a known complication that occurs and sometimes difficult to control or avoid, even more so with Vaser or another type of ultrasound or laser assisted liposuction which is meant to create a controlled burn underneath the skin.  Either some additional liposuction around the contour deformity or fat grafting into the defect can improve the appearance of that area.  I would certainly wait a few more weeks or months and then get reevaluated then.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin and lipo

+1

If you have excess skin and a diastasis recti, liposuction will not improve it.  You may want to consider a tummy tuck.