3 Months Post Tummy Tuck - Should I Still Have Swelling?

I had an ETT with MR and Lipo on Dec 2, so I am now 3 months out. I feel like I have "permanent" swelling - it looks like this all day, so I question whether this is swelling. I did have a bad infection at 4 weeks and my incision was cut about 1" in 2 places to drain so my recovery was a little delayed. I will need a revision in those areas to flatten those areas. My waist has not gone down at all and I have no shape. Would love any feedback.

Swelling after a TT

+1

Without comlications it usually takes 6 months for most of the swelling to subside after a TT.  Factoring an infection into that I would wait 9 months to a year before revising your abdominoplasty.  I am not sure what you are referring to when you mention swelling.  It's hard to tell from photos alone, but it appears that you have a large amount of internal fat pushing out on your abdomen which cannot be addressed with a TT and will not change without weight loss.  Be patient.  You have a ways to go and another revision is already ahead of you.  Whatever needs to be done can be done then.

Tummy tuck revisions should be discussed after a year.

+1

After about a year, you can decide if you are in need of a revision.  Swelling can last several months and it sounds like you had some minor complications after your surgery which caused you additional swelling.

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

At three months and with a history of infection, you are still in the process of healing and it is not surprising your abdominal area still feels swollen to you.  You may not reach the final result of your surgery until the 8th to 12th month mark.

Lawrence C. Lin, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon