Is swelling under your chin bad 3 weeks after face lift?

Swelling after Facelift

+1
Generally speaking, it can take 6 to 12 months to completely heal after a facelift procedure. I would strongly recommend speaking with your surgeon or his/her clinical team to discuss your concerns further.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling under the chin is quite normal after a facelift.

+1
Thank you for your question. Swelling under the chin is exceptionally likely and probably anticipated for several weeks after a facelift procedure. This is largely related to scar tissue develops in the skin under the chin that can be fairly evident without any subcutaneous fat tissue present.

Certainly I would get in contact with your surgeon to be certain that you are healing as expected.

The area under the chin happens to be the most frequently revised after facelift surgery. You can consider procedures such as a submentoplasty if things do not resolve over 6 to 12 months. I would stay in close contact with your surgeon as minimal procedures such as steroid injections, massage, silicone sheet applications can be very helpful during the early healing period.

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is swelling under your chin bad 3 weeks after a facelift?

+1

It is not abnormal to have swelling under the chin 3 weeks after a facelift. In general, the side effects of a facelift may include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Bruising
3) Bleeding
4) Hematoma

Swelling can take time to subside, as the final result may not be evident for 3-6 months. I would recommend following up with your surgeon to ensure there were no complications from the surgery. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after facelift

+1
3 weeks is still early in the healing process. The swelling in your chin will gradually subside but it could take a few more weeks. Sometimes the type of facelift can affect swelling.  In my practice I often perform short scar face lifts which certainly limit swelling and speed recovery.  However some patients may require more extensive surgery in the neck which may prolong recovery.

Gentle compression can be helpful. Make sure that you are following your surgeon's postoperative instructions and follow up to ensure that you are healing according to plan.

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Swelling under chin after face lift

+1
  • Assuming you had a neck lift with your face lift, the chin swelling is normal,
  • it is usually hard, looks like a tiny double chin
  • it will do away but it may take 6 months or a bit longer

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Swelling persists after facelift

+1
3 weeks is still early in the healing process. The swelling in your chin will gradually subside but it could take a few months. Compression can be helpful. Make sure that you are compliant with your surgeon's postoperative instructions and follow up to ensure that you are healing according to plan.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Swelling under the chin three weeks is not uncommon after a facelift

+1
Most facelifts aggressively address the neck with an incision under the chin. This will result in postoperative swelling. Gentle pressure to the area by way of a compressive garment can help as well as keeping the head vertical to allow gravity to be of assistance.

Swelling

+1
You are still early in the post op period and swelling will take time to totally resolve.  Check with your surgeon to make sure you do not have a fluid collection that needs treatment.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Swelling after facelift

+1
You may have swelling that can last for several months after a facelift. This should get progressively better as the days and weeks go by, but at three weeks, I would not be at all surprised by this.

Make sure to see your plastic surgeon to evaluate your progress and see that you are going in the right direction. He/she will be able to tell if it is normal swelling or a fluid collection that must be addressed. 

Good luck!! I hope this helps.

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven General Surgeon

+1
It is common to have swelling under your chin 3 weeks after a facelift.  Ask your Plastic Surgeon his opinion on compression neck garments at this stage of healing.  You might find that that helps with the problem.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD