Swelling 3 Years Post Septo/rhinoplasty. What Should I Do? (photo)

I am middle eastern w thick skin. I had a large bulbous tip as well as a big hump. I had a dev. left septum. I now have a nice profile view but 3/4 view is ugly due to my bulbous tip. My right side is more swollen then the left&my nostrils are uneven. My nose looks crooked & I can barely breathe out my right nostril. I have scar tissue on the right side.I have a visible scar where the incision was made.doctor says its swelling and every 4months I recieve steroid shots with very little results.

Middle Eastern Nose

+2

By 3 years after surgery the swelling is gone. Your nose is bulbous in the tip but for a middle eastern nose it is within the aesthetic norm. If you still wish it to be less bulbous you will need revision tip rhinoplasty. Please be aware that tip plasty can make your nose look more caucasian.

The bigger issue is breathing. If you cannot breathe you should see an Otolaryngologist for evaluation as there are so many conditions that can cause this problem.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post Rhinoplasty Residual Deformity

+2

Thank you for the question and the pictures. It appears as thought you will need a revision to correct your bulbous tip and your inability to breath out of the right side of your nose. In any case the first step should be a thorough in-person exam and a review of your operative report to know what has already been done. It is important to note that how much refinement that can be carried out/attained will be limited by the thickness of your nasal skin.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Rhinoplasty surgery

+2

Dear Shhady,

After 3 years, you are candidate for a revision rhinoplasty with a scar revision as well

There might be a limit with how defined of a tip you can have based on the thickness of your skin

You should start with your surgeon and if you are not getting the answers that you need, then please seek out another rhinoplasty surgeon

Best regards,
Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Middle Eastern nose job - seek rhinoplasty specialist well experienced in revisions

+1

The problems you've described - thickened soft tissue in the nasal tip and supra tip areas as well as asymmetry of the nostrils - can often be corrected w/ simple steroid injections.

Steroid injections are typically done in a series, 1-3 months apart. Theoretically, the steroid breaks down the underlying scar tissue in this area. This approach is certainly an appropriate initial choice and would be better than a second surgical procedure, if it were successful.

Unfortunately, after a series of attempts at this conservative management, revision surgery is likely required to ultimately address your particular concerns. Revisions can be quite challenging, so I advise you to seek a rhinoplasty specialist well experienced in revision procedures.

I hope you are able to resolve your breathing and aesthetic concerns...good luck!

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breathing Issues and Bulbous Tip

+1

Although the tip may be made smaller, this is not a given.  In addition, the breathing problem needs to be evaluated as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetry following a rhinoplasty

+1

After 3 years you have certainly reached your final result and there is no more swelling present.  If there is any asymmetry present on your tip it may be due to differences in the cartilage that make up the tip.  Usually with thicker skin small differences in cartilage symmetry are more difficult to notice.  If you still do not like the appearance of your nasal tip then you may need a tip revision.  Also if you have a thickened scar of the nose I would not recommend repeated steroid injections.  It may be okay to do this one or two times but there can be unwanted consequences of steroid injections to this area including atrophy of skin, atrophy of fat and the development of spider veins.  If there is only one small scar in question you may consider a scar revision.  

Swelling 3 Years Post Septorhinoplasty

+1

Although some middle eastern patients do have thick skin and prolonged recovery at 3 years after your septorhinoplasty you do not have any residual swelling; you are looking at the final result. If you are not satisfied with the result consider a revision.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

I agree that at 3 years post-op you are not dealing with swelling.  Steroid injections, in my opinion, will not do any good at this point.  In fact, they may be doing harm by thinning the skin too much.  The issue with your tip at this point is cartilage shape.  It could be refined by a revision rhinoplasty.  At the same time, your breathing should be addressed.  Good luck.

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon